Yey I have my Sandblast Cabinet...

darkstar_one

So finally after a long time i finally got my Sandblast Cabinter. It was 94.99 at harbor freight but i had a 20 percent off coupon and got it for 75 bucks. :D anywho. i had order the blasting media from ebay for 15 bucks for 10 pounds with free shipping. and wow does it do wonders. the only downside was that the gun that came with the cabinet was no good and didnt work. oh well . i drove to home depot and purchased the HUSKY SAND BLASTING GUN KIT...for 15 bucks. great deal. great gun. Anywho. I had this air pressure regulator that i had purchased a while ago but it seems i kinda messed it up during assembly. 3 parts to assemble but i dont remember what i did to it and as soon as i hooked the air line to it it exploded :rolleyes: good thing i wasnt in the way... well i drove back down to harbor freight and bought a new one and i assembled it the right way. 1 inlet 1 outlet and the gauge. thats it. i left it alone. it works like a charm.

RIght now i am just cleaning my caliper brackets but tommorow i will be cleanign the supercharger to get it ready for the powdercoating booth. what do you guys think.

Attachments

• 12-12-05_1406.jpg
    12-12-05_1406.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 126
  • 12-13-05_1518.jpg
    12-13-05_1518.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 121
What blasting media are you going to use on the supercharger case?

I prefer using walnut media for aluminum-removes paint and cleans the surface without damaging the metal-sand will etch the surface, and leave a rough finish that may6 not look good when powdercoated.

JMHO:)

WOW.....i didnt think a sandblasting cabinet was that cheap! I thought it was so expensive...i never actually looked into it:p ! Shoot...might have to keep an eye on harbor freight offers!

There is a way that you can do an entire car-but it costs a bit more than what Harbor Freight lets one go for.;)

hey birdman 93,

right now i am using that BLACK MAGNUM sand which is the new replacement for the silica sand. here is from the listing.

Black Magnum is an all purpose safe replacement for silica sand.

This product cost effectively removes the risk of developing SILICOSIS, a serious disease of the lungs associated with silica sand blasting. We use this specific material as a staple in our own stripping process and will not use silica sand for anything.

Because it comes in many sizes and can be reused several times, this abrasive performs very well when compared to aluminum oxide, silicon carbide, noviculite, garnet, crushed glass, steel grit, star blast and many other white metal producing abrasives.

There isn't anything that can't be done with black magnum that is currently being done with any of the blasting medias listed above with the rare exception of lettering granite. When ordering please specify the grit size(s) that you need.

so far so good. i used it on the supercharger and i can say so far it got it down to the primer. to get it bare aluminum i guess i would need a tougher grit. but to the primer is good. nice and smooth. i will order a small bag of walnut shells to see what it does. thanks again.

That sand is still abrasive. Walnut shells is popular for soft metals. Locally a body shop does soda blasting where they blast it with baking soda. Necessary for cleaning on hot rods and such with thin steel or aluminum sheet bodies.

We use aluminum oxide to blast with......

It breaks down into a very fine dust with use and can be a pain to work with at times.....:rolleyes:

Did you get a lot of plastic covers for the viewing window?

hey anyone know what grit and what media to use to remove powder coat? i got the case down to the primer. anyone? thanks. only some parts have it to the bare aluminum. thanks again

sandblasters are awesome especially when you get to use them to clean those nasty dirty parts on your car

My friend bought a sandblaster sorta like the one you have I think he got it at a swap meet for like $80 it works good the only bad thing about it is that the gloves broke off so sand gets out of the box

Back