cheap/good looking 17" wheel option...

4cefed

Last night I was up at the shop(where I work), and a friend of mine was working on his mom's G6(the same friend who slams our bolt pattern constantly). Well to make a long story short the 17" chrome 5 spokes off of a G6 will fit our bolt pattern, In fact, they looked great on the bird. They just needed a little more tire. I believe the malibu and most saabs use this bolt pattern also.

I'll try to get some pictures this weekend.

Good info on the wheel option. I like those new G6's a LOT more than the "every frat boy has one and thinks it's fast, but it's not" Grand Am GT. I do think GM kinda copied the new Couger and Mazda 6 for inspiration but what company doesn't steal from others these days? :D

center caps

the only thing that is really bothering me is the center caps with the pontiac symbol. They are pretty small though... I was up for hours last night wondering/ how to make an SVT centercap fit...

So you actually had them on your car? How much backspacing do they have? The Lincoln LS rims fit too but they look too sunk in to look good.

Are you sure about the bolt pattern? GM has never used 5 on 108 mm. Some of their vehicles are 5 on 110 mm, which would go on a car with 5 on 108, but would probably end up causing broken wheel studs or chewed up lug mounting faces, or worse.

Be careful when mixing and matching wheels!!!

cheers
Ed N.

had them on the car

Yes, they were on the car...It seemed to fill out the rear fender well a little better, but it was hard to tell with the stock 225/50r17's on it. Not sure about the exact backspacing, but they do seem to sit out a little more( maybe.5 inches or so). the 5X110 mm offset works out to 5X4.33 instead of our 5X4.25. We talked about this .08" in diameter difference last night(we are both engineering students), and decided that since the lugs were recessed that a slight dremeling to the inner portion of each lug hole should take care of it without causing any harm to the appearnce of the wheel. The wheel slipped over the lugs effortlessly. This made us wonder if that was necessary since the radius would only be off by .04 inches which is really what measurement should be looked at when determining each individual lug clearance.

PS these wheels seemed abnormally light for a production wheel. It could have just been from the dinky tires.

This is a subjective measurement, but my 16" SC wheels with 225/60R16s feel like they weigh almost double what my 15" fan-blade wheels with 225/60R15s weigh. My only point is, I think the SC wheels are naturally heavy, so a lot of things will feel light in comparison.

light?

You may be right... I am usually lifting SC wheels and the steel 15's on my Jeep with 31X10.50's that are six ply. So the SC wheels feel pretty light. But an improvement is still an improvement.

Be careful on cutting the lug patten out on the wheels unless you have good precision drilling equipment.
When you tighten the Lug nuts down they may not center perfectly in their seats - thats what is going to keep your rim centered.
I doubt these rims are Hub centric for the TBird, so you're going to be relying on wheel studs alone and the stock studs arent the strongest. Your best bet would be to machine a Hub centric adapter specifically for these wheels, that the only safe way to do it.
Dont be suprised if you have alot of wheel vibration above 50 mph or so. Id take them for a test drive if possible before drilling the holes out or spending money on them.

Last edited:
Back