Door molding removal

Dirk SC

Has anyone taken the exterior side door molding off of their cars? Any usefull tips would be helpfull. Thanks.

Super XR7 said:
I used heavy nylon fishing line. Works great.

Ditto. Just move the fishing line in a sawing motion to cut through the adhesive holding the molding to the body. Goo Gone works well for removing the residue left behind.

-Rod

Near the subject...

How do you get the rubber trim from the windows and the sides of the roof, and even the windshield molding off without screwing it up???

Like if you were gonna pant it????

sizemoremk said:
Near the subject...

How do you get the rubber trim from the windows and the sides of the roof, and even the windshield molding off without screwing it up???

Like if you were gonna pant it????

The trim on the top if fairly simple, if i remember correctly, you need to pry up from the roof side and id should pop out. The trim on the top of the windsheild is just held on my little clips, same thing, just pry up gently and it should come off. The trim on the sides of the windsheild is screwed on. BTW anyone know where u can get new trim on the top of my cougar?

Derek

90XR7Cougar5spd said:
The trim on the top if fairly simple, if i remember correctly, you need to pry up from the roof side and id should pop out. The trim on the top of the windsheild is just held on my little clips, same thing, just pry up gently and it should come off. The trim on the sides of the windsheild is screwed on. BTW anyone know where u can get new trim on the top of my cougar?

Derek
I replaced all my roof, window and the side trim. My windshield side trim was rivoted on. To remove: I removed the weather strip and drilled out the nine rivots. I bought all new trim from http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214113. If your back glass is like all other cougars you can also buy the rear glass rubber seal. Be careful removing the top rear trim as they are easily bent and are very hard to find replacements.

Last edited:
There is one bolt on the inside for the roof trim on the T-birds. If you look at your inner c panel cover you will see a small round pop out panel. Behind that is one nut you have to remove. Other than that, drill the rivits behind the door seal, and be careful removing the clips around the windows. The trunk trim on the Tbird has funny little round plastic clips that slide off of little nubs that stick up. The are easy to remove but if you don't know how you'll break them all.

If you buy new trim it will come with new clips.

Back