Need Head Gaskets

joe debattista

I am gonna do the Gaskets on my car. I need two things from you extremely knowledgable sc guys.

A Cometic gaskets part #
and
an ARP head stud part #

Thanks fellas

- Joe

I don't think that the Cometic deal ever worked out-but I could be wrong-stranger things have happened.

How soon do you need the gaskets? We'll have SCE ICS Titan gaskets ready in February.

There's a huge post on these gaskets in either the "New Parts" or "Non-technical" forum. I think the pricing is $165 per pair.

Use the Chevy V6 ARP studs. They work perfect. The SC ones are too long.
ARP-233-4003. I got mine from Summit for 87.64 shipped.
Fel pro complete upper gasket set was HS9642PT for 137.99 at Checker/Shucks/Kragen auto parts.
As far as cometics for the SC, I don't know of any. The fel pro kit has some pretty nice gaskets. I haven't had any problems.

-Jeremy

Birdman93 will be the source of the Titan gaskets, cost is targeted at under $200 for the set. (165 for 7/16" (stock) head holes, 180 for 1/2)

See this thread:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69475&

Otherwise there is the stock Felpro set, which is really quite good and just fine for a standard rebuild. Then there is the Ford 4.2 motor multi-layer steel gasket that you can use. this gasket requires a smoother surface on the deck and heads than came from the factory for our cars.

I think the 4.2 gasket is the same as the MLS gasket used on 96+ Windstars (and Mustangs?).

joe debattista said:
So basically the trick gaskets are the SCE Titan's I will call up Cometic and see what I can find out for ya guys.

IMO, The Cometic gaskets are no better than the MLS 4.2 gaskets. They require just as smooth of a deck surface. I've got a set of the Cometic gaskets in my 347 turbo and just installed a replacement set two days ago. I've also got a set of the 4.2 late model F-150 MLS gaskets in my 3.8 and they are holding up great...even with 100 hp shot of nitrous.

BTW, Cometic already offered to make the gaskets, but couldn't get enough firm orders from SC owners to cover the minimum order. There is a rather lengthy thread in the new products forum with all the details.

David

David Neibert said:
IMO, The Cometic gaskets are no better than the MLS 4.2 gaskets. They require just as smooth of a deck surface. I've got a set of the Cometic gaskets in my 347 turbo and just installed a replacement set two days ago. I've also got a set of the 4.2 late model F-150 MLS gaskets in my 3.8 and they are holding up great...even with 100 hp shot of nitrous.

BTW, Cometic already offered to make the gaskets, but couldn't get enough firm orders from SC owners to cover the minimum order. There is a rather lengthy thread in the new products forum with all the details.

David

So the MLS are pretty good gaskets. Do you happen to have a part # or anythign or which application I need.

I just like the cometics because every big HP turbo car i know uses them. I mean like 2000+ and up stuff. We worked on a 1900 HP small block chevy TT GN at my shop and it used cometics and never blow. Thanks for the info though it is all really helpful. Whatever you guys suggest is best i know that. I'm the one that is new to SC and working on them. I just never want them to blow again. :D

The main benefit of the Cometic gasket was the coating to help eliminate any question of corrosion due to dissimilar metals. Something to consider when dealing with the MLS gasket between our aluminum head, steel deck and in contact with coolant.

The potential of this Titan gasket looks to be high. I tend to look at our heads as it's not a question of if the lift, it's when will they, thus the goal is to have a head gasket that can deal with this movement and not blow out. The Titan gasket sure looks promising.

Mike8675309 said:
The main benefit of the Cometic gasket was the coating to help eliminate any question of corrosion due to dissimilar metals. Something to consider when dealing with the MLS gasket between our aluminum head, steel deck and in contact with coolant.

The potential of this Titan gasket looks to be high. I tend to look at our heads as it's not a question of if the lift, it's when will they, thus the goal is to have a head gasket that can deal with this movement and not blow out. The Titan gasket sure looks promising.

Cool I've researched them all since I posted this. Does anyone have the part # of the Titan gaskets. those are the one's I like the best thus far. :D

joe debattista said:
Cool I've researched them all since I posted this. Does anyone have the part # of the Titan gaskets. those are the one's I like the best thus far. :D

Birdman93 said:
How soon do you need the gaskets? We'll have SCE ICS Titan gaskets ready in February.
:D ;) :) :p :cool:

Back