are 89-93 and 94-95 alternators compatible?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
i think the alternator on my 94 took a crap on me two days ago, i have the one on my 89. Are they compatible? Any issues i should worry about? They are phisically the same so i want to see if I can use it and then read up on rebuilding the 94 one.

I know if you're replacing the stock pulleys with underdrives the 94-95 ones hav something different, so im not sure if swaping the 89 one will work.

Anyways, im in the middle of an oil change so if somebody knows i'd greatly appreciate it, im gonna finish this stuff and then get to the alternator. I want my car back! i've been driving a cavalier...speedy! yay:eek:

The 89-95 alt's are all compatable but some of the 94-95's have a different case that requires a larger lip on the case side of the pulley. As long as you use the correct pulley for the case you will be fine.

A flat washer behind the 89 - 93 pulley will make it work on the 94 - 95 alt. as well.

cheers
Ed N.

Just in time, im about to go outside and get that alt. out. Im assuming i should be able to see this difference between the shorter and longer lips right? If they look the same, then i guess ill use the 89 alt for a while and go test the 94 one.

Ok, i re read the post and saw that this lip is on the underside of the pulley and not the alt case...so i wont be able to see it unless i take out the pulley. In any case, what does this do? does it just align the pulley to the so the belt is lined up? Because if thats the case im just going to install the 89 one and see if the belt lines up. Any thoughts?

Well just FYI i bought an autozone alternator for the 94 and it was garbage...so with a new belt I ended up using the 89 alternator and it works marvelously as it should. I got a refund from AZ and im ordering a NEW motorcraft alternator from rockauto.com and slaping it in the 89. Screw remans.

I was thinking, if the pulley is the one thats modified for some of the 94's the purpose should be to keep everything working with the rest of the belt system...which is the same 89-95...so unless you're swapping pulleys, there's no need to worry about this difference. If you're swaping entire alternators (with pulley) then they should be a straight fit.

Back