Back in the SC Game!

sumzxr7

Hey...

Ever since I sold my 5.0L Cougar XR7, I've been feeling the MN-12 blues, and I promised myself, if I came across a mint SC for a good deal I would pick it up, but as many of you know finding one that is in MINT condition, is very hard to come by.

I originally had purchased my old XR7 for a 1G, but car the needed a lot of work. I spent all of '04 restoring it, and spent a lot of money in the process. I don't regret it, as it was great learning experience and in some ways, I was able to live out one of my many goals to restore a car.

Now, since I already had a Cougar, I wanted to get an SC, but again it had to be in good condition as I didn't want to go through what I went through with the Cougar..i.e. rotted out rockers, floor, shock towers, oil pan, etc. I was also well aware of the headgasket issue with the 3.8L, but I figured if I could find one that was in good shape, I would take my chances.

So to make a long story short, I came across a mint 93 SC, with 0 rust anywhere, even on the rockers..the rockers are in tact and the car looks like it rolled off the line...the car was also rust proofed many times, so the floors are mint..its got a rebuilt tranny, and the the previous owner was well aware of the HG issue, so he kept doing coolant changes every 20K...I also got 6 years worth of service records that prove all of the work..the interior is mint as well, with no cracks on the bolsters or the seat themselves (thank god for seat covers)..the car has all of the options, auto and no sunroof...

Here are some pics..the car has 200K. I know, I got a lot to learn about the SC motor (i am more of a 302 guy) but I am looking foward to the challenge..for now she sits in my gargage, as it not going to see snow, as long as I own it...its only going to be used as my summer car..for now I am just going to lower it and leave it as is, as the motor is 100% stock.

Cheers,
Samir

bird.jpg

bird1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Samir, congrats man. Car looks nice from those pics.....lets see some of the interior.

Still got the 17" ROH's....those would look great on the car.:)

Steve.

Hey Steve,

I sold the 17" ROH rims with the Cougar to a friend in July..wish I still had them though...;-) although, I made an arrangement with him that this summer I will trade the factory springs I have now, for the Eibachs he has on my old ride..

I will post some pics of the interior tomorrow..

Last edited:
Hey, man I always knew MN12 are one of the most addictive cars out there;)
Car looks realy nice and mint. You must've spent well over 2500 for it.
Now, I am not sure if 93 cars have different exhaust than 89-92 cars, but if they do, I would definatelly change/ditch the resonator. That will ensure that your HG stay safe little longer.
Also, car has 200 km on the clock, I would have a supercharger serviced, caus it's a lot!
Also, do yuorself a favour, get a double IC or an IC fan, at least. These money well worth spent! Might as well install a 180 t'stat.
To get the long stary short: Welcome to the club, Samir. SuperCoupe club!:D

where was it

Samir
Was this car in the trader around 401 and Ave road?
It was on my list to look at before my car was recovered.
Pete

Samir - Congratulations. If it's as rust free as you indicate, that's quite a find. I looked for two years to find my clean '93. With transport Canada not allowing 89-93 MN12's across the border, the pool gets shallower every season.

Your old ROH are a little different than mine. Mine has a 1.5" Eibach drop and bags in the rear to give you an idea of how they'd look if you can recover from your buddy.

Bruce

Thanks Guys..

Hey Pete, yeah I believe its the same car you are talking about.....when I saw it, I knew I had to have it....especially with it being rust free....its a lot faster then the 5.0L I had in my old XR7...

Last edited:
sumzxr7 said:
Thanks Guys..

Hey Pete, yeah I believe its the same car you are talking about.....when I saw it, I knew I had to have it....especially with it being rust free....its a lot faster then the 5.0L I had in my old XR7...
No kidding, eahh??? :eek:

pre 93's

Bruce
If the car is over 15 years old by the month of build, it does not go through the RIV program which is where Transport Canada gets into the deal.
I checked to be sure when I was considering what to do about my missing and since recovered 95'.
RIV says - does not apply, call CCRA, CCRA says pay the GST on sale, go to your provincial with provincial safety/etest, pay pst and you have a car.
So this means we can bring 89-91's in now - I wanted a 92/93 but HAD lined up 4 or 5 89-91's which were VERY clean low miles cars.

Pete

Does this include the S/C's with the automatic seat belts? I was told, when I was looking at a few, that they would not be accepted???????????????????

Peter,
Yes, the 15 year rule is coming into play now. Forgot about that. Thanks for the wake up.

Only '89s - '91s this year with a new year added each subsequent year. Time to hunt south of the border.....

I do see the following paragraph has been added to the document since the last time I researched this topic..

6. ACTIVE versus PASSIVE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS: The fact that a seat belt restraint system is considered to be active or passive does not in itself determine that vehicle’s admissibility or inadmissibility into Canada. What does determine its admissibility or inadmissibility is whether or not that vehicle meets Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 210 (seat belt anchorage location). Where a vehicle has been determined by its manufacturer as not meeting Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 210, that vehicle is not eligible for importation into Canada under any circumstances. Canadian legislation does not allow modifications to the seat belt anchorage system. The vehicle meets the Canadian standard at the time of manufacture or it is not eligible for importation into Canada. Passive restraint systems are identified as a motorized upper torso restraint or a door mounted 3 point restraint.

Can someone out there determine if the anchor points are the same for both PASSIVE and ACTIVE?

Does the 15 year rule overide this one? I'll call them tomorrow. Standby, over..........

Link to Transport Canada reference:

http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf

Bruce

Last edited:
15 years old

Bruce
In 2003 was was persistent in talking to somebody in Transport Canada about a 93, getting it and converting it to regular belts etc. This person grew less cooperative and isisted that the anchor points were not the same, or atleast not considered to have been tested and there was no way, no how, no buts, goodbye sir..........
Recently in looking into it, I called RIV, they said simply if the vehicle is over 15 years old it does not go through the RIV process and thus transport Canada standards. They said call customs. I spoke to someone at customs who basically said they admit it to enter the country, collect GST/air tax, and you then go provincial to license it.
So I was pretty certain that the 15yr old over rules the RIV process entirely. If I were actually buying a car to import, I would make sure I had this in writing from somebody though.
I had found a 91 in Illinois with 24k miles 5Spd was considering buying and storing it until May 06 when it would be ok.
There also was a nice 89 in SC with 5Spd 66kmiles, one owner, midnight blue.
Pete

I dont know why they raise a ~~~~ on the seat belt issue when the nissan quest and the mercury villager had automatic seat belts in them.I remember the first one I had to repair,I got in it and backed it up on the frame machine and I opened the door and the fricken seat belt went back and around my neck as I stuck my head out the van and back it up and it almost choked me.I had to stop and it took the wind right out of me and I almost lost control of the van.

Greg Coleman said:
I dont know why they raise a ~~~~ on the seat belt issue when the nissan quest and the mercury villager had automatic seat belts in them.I remember the first one I had to repair,I got in it and backed it up on the frame machine and I opened the door and the fricken seat belt went back and around my neck as I stuck my head out the van and back it up and it almost choked me.I had to stop and it took the wind right out of me and I almost lost control of the van.
I never liked those belts either. They look odd

Back