4R70W Mustang swap?

The 4R70W is an electronically controlled transmission. The AOD in a 91 SC is not. So you would either have to swap in a complete 94 - 95 SC EEC system, or get one of the aftermarket stand-alone transmission controllers.

What are you trying to achieve with the 4R70W swap? If it's the wider ratio gear set, you can buy that as an upgrade for the AOD through the Ford Racing Performance Parts catalogue.

cheers
Ed N.

It's cheaper to get a 4r70w to use as a core than to buy the performance gearset. still the 4r70w has benefits but it will not be an easy swap into your car. You will need a computer and wiring harness for that car I would suggest getting what you need off a 94/95 automatic car and making the conversion. normally I would not suggest a conversion like this but with lentech being the only really good valvebody and the cost of them being so high it would probably be worth it. Then again there is always baumann controllers that would probably be cheaper,but I don't know about easier.
Alan

fast Ed said:
The 4R70W is an electronically controlled transmission. The AOD in a 91 SC is not. So you would either have to swap in a complete 94 - 95 SC EEC system, or get one of the aftermarket stand-alone transmission controllers.

Although, this is a true statement, I would NEVER, EVER try an aftermarket stand-alone transmission controller AGAIN, it does NOT work. I'm I'm not the only person to unsuccessfully attempt this...the controller doesn't work on our cars (or at least didn't several years ago).

There are people that have successfully swapped EECs to facilitate a swap to the late-model transmission.

not trying to gain anything with the gearing...know nothing about the 4r70w's but i may be able to get one at a pretty good price here. If the swap is a pain in the ~~~ ill just locate another aod and hope its good for now. Gonna use this core as one to build up.

I know people have put later model Mustang or F-series 4R70Ws in their Mn12 Thunderbirds. I think you just have to switch some pins on the wiring connectors, but you can search the TCCOA board to make sure.

Of course, that assumes that you first make the swap to the 94-95 SC EEC. And wouldn't you also need to swap in the 36lb injectors to work with the EEC? I don't know about sensors - you may have to swap a few.

Back