Anybody have soft (rubber, silicon) IC Tubes?

why?

Our radiator hoses have 15 PSI going through them and they don't balloon. I don't see why that wouldn't work, esecially if they were covered with that braided ****.

uhh...he was just kidding. haha, funny joke type thing:) Yeah, guys with front mount IC's use pvc type materials. That wouldn't be a problem. If you are thinking about doing something to the lower IC tube, just remember that it runs right next to the exhuast manifold.

Thomas

Do not use PCV pipe, I had it on my front mount IC setup temporarily and the heat warped it and softened it and it leaked air after that. I have 2 1/2 inch mandrel bent exhaust pipe with rubber hoses to piece them together until I get them welded together, they work fine but they are only rad hoses (2 1/2 truck rad hose) so they collaspe during idle and exp[and during throttel, but no balloning that I can see. If you use rubber hose get the hoses from a transport truck that are used on the turbo trucks, they will handle the boost no problem.

That figures

Have you ever seen that "simulated" braided steel line cover stuff that Advance Auto sells, I think Mr Gasket makes it. I would think that would act as a good insulation as well as re-enforcement for the tubing, keeping it from balooning out. What sort of material did you use and where did you get/how much?

I would assume braided steel mesh would either expand with the hose due to its weave pattern or would cut through the soft rubber if it did not expand.

After you have removed the IC tubes and reconnected them a couple of times you learn how to do it perfect. Also you understand that the tubes are nice and solid and the factory did an excellent job in designing them. If you use black or copper rtv silicone you wont have a problem. I wont loosen the big nut that goes to the top and will instead remove the foru small bolts holding the top to blower. This part can be resealed easy and you wont have to worry about over or under tightening the big nut.

Jerry

Silicone Hose material is soooo much more expensive than steel that it is foolish to try to use it for anything other than interconnects.

Clamps on Silicone Hose that is on the outlet side of a Turbo or Supercharger should also be the constant tension type. These will keep the grip pressure constant without damaging the surface of the hose from it being too tight.

Back