No 3rd or OD Did I break an input shaft? (AOD)

sizemoremk

Or did a spring clip come out and let loose of a clutchpack????

I was in the throttle a fair amount, doing around 80 in 3rd, and when I let off, instead of going into OD, I heard and felt and a "pop"

I can put it in 1st and it will shift to 2nd, then rev for 3rd...

When I put it in D or OD, the tranny still seems to kinda grab hold (RPMs change) but when I give it some throttle, it just free-revs...

Made it back to the house and the fluid is still bright red and didn't smell burnt or anything. I rebuilt this tranny Two Junes ago, and I cannot remember exactly how it all goes together, never really understood it very well to be honest, so would a broken input shaft leave me with no 3rd or OD? Or does anyone think maybe a spring clip came out of a drum??

To be honest, I didn't try reverse, so I don't know if it works or not:eek:

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sounds like you either busted the input shaft or just plain destroyed the direct clutch. There is the possibility of stripping out the hub in the direct clutch as well. If it grabs a little I would think that or that you stripped out the splines in the drum. Either way take it back out and no more wot 3-4 shifts for you :)
Alan

Could very well be a broken direct drive shaft (input shaft) or it may be the spline in the TQ that broke. The symptoms you describe are very similar to the way my AOD acted when I broke the direct drive shaft. The AOD is direct drive in 3rd and 4th gears. The direct drive shaft mates to a spline in the TQ that is welded to the TQ housing. It is possible that the welds to this spline broke. It may be time to think about a nonlocking TQ. Regardless you will have to drop the Trans.
Maybe Alan (Dirtydog) will see this thread and have more input.

Good luck

Bryan

Dirtyd0g said:
Sounds like you either busted the input shaft or just plain destroyed the direct clutch. There is the possibility of stripping out the hub in the direct clutch as well. If it grabs a little I would think that or that you stripped out the splines in the drum. Either way take it back out and no more wot 3-4 shifts for you :)
Alan

well it happened when I let off:confused:

Tell me about a TC and input shaft combo you can provide;)

I wanna keep the lockup...

By the way, I aint making no power yet, all is on the car right now is the 10% pulley, CAI, raised top, and double IC. The rest of the stuff is still on the shelf in the garage... All the boltons were scheduled to go on after the heads an cam next week...

Last edited:
Unfortunately I am currently laid off so i can't build any converters at the moment I am listening to offeres but it seems everybody that wants to hire me requires me to relocate. I'd really love to just build my own shop but I am about 100g's shy. There is a slightly better input shaft for the twin shaft setup personally I prefer the 1 piece input shaft and a 31 spline converter. That will require loss of direct drive however.If you need help with it let me know I have been building transmissions lately until I can get back into the work I really like to do.
Alan

My transmission behaved something like that when it went out this past summer. First OD began to free-rev, then 3rd, then 2nd .. and so on. From seeming fine to toast in a week. I shouldn't have flushed it. :p

Anyway, I think the rebuilder said that my TC was toast, and there was oodles of debris in the pan. So, $1600 later, I have a rebuilt AOD and torque converter which seems to be working fine.

I just had something similar to you happen with mine.... Accelerated, shifted down to 3rd pulled away, then let the gas off and heard a noise then I didn't have OD anymore and last 3rd a little after. 2nd acted like it was slipping because of the non-direct shaft...

Anyways, what it turned out to be was the TV cable had seized up at the tranny end, and after freeing it up it settled back in and the tranny has been acting great since.

Its at least an easy thing to check at the throttle body to see if you can pull the TV cable out and if it springs all the way back in then at least its ok :cool: . Don't do it with the engine running though.

Frit

Back