what trans will work?

blownb2

i just got a 1989 cougar xr7 with a smoked trans. my question is what kinda trans can i put in this thing. i've heard something about a c4 from a 5.0 would work. is this correct. i'd like to put in a non computer controled trans. thanks.

Also, the AOD is not computer controlled. Shifting functions are controlled by the throttle valve (TV) cable. You might also want to check the tv linkage on the throttle body. The grommet on the body has been known to fall apart after many years of use. You can get a new replacement from Ford. There is supposedly a brass grommet to replace the plastic one, but I've never come across it.

but anyway like i asked. what other tranny besides the stock aod will bolt up to the motor. the guy i bought the car from has 2 89 xr7's and a 90 something SC and the 89's both had puked trans, and every one i see for sale cheap has a junk trans and i refuse to put one back in if i don't have to. i would really like to put in a c4 if it will work.

Last edited:
M5R2 5 speed tranny swap. You have to hang the clutch pedal,shorter driveshaft,center console,install cluch master cylinder. There's a couple writeups on how to do it. I currently have all the parts, I'm just waiting to have the 5spd. rebuilt and I need to get a new clutch and slave.

Putting a C4 in would make the car fairly useless as a highway driver. It would be spinning around 3000-3200 at 70ish mph. As a drag car, the C4 would be better, but as a street driver, you'd be better off getting a properly mod'd AOD, upgrading to an AOD-E or 4R70W or a M5R2 swap.

Physically, any trans that fits a 302 block would bolt to a 3.8. The bell housing is the same. Finding a starter, flywheel, cluthc, convertor, shifter, kickdown cable, driveshaft etc to fit other trans models will be a little time consuming and expensive. People have fit T5s and T56s in, but it's not a 'go buy parts and put it in' swap.

If you can't do massive fabrication yourself, stick with the AOD or you'll be sorry later.

no more autos for pauly

blownb2 said:
but anyway like i asked. what other tranny besides the stock aod will bolt up to the motor. the guy i bought the car from has 2 89 xr7's and a 90 something SC and the 89's both had puked trans, and every one i see for sale cheap has a junk trans and i refuse to put one back in if i don't have to. i would really like to put in a c4 if it will work.

I completely understand how you feel.
I had 2 other birds, one w/AOD, and one w/4r70w. They are not for the poor man(me:eek: ).
The 91LX w/AOD was supposedly rebuilt when I got it, and still does not shift correctly(TV cable is set right).
I posted in an AOD Forum about it, and they tell me the direct drive clutches are wearing-out! I guess it wasn't THAT rebuilt...
The 95LX w/4r tranny I had was so busted when I bought it, I told the tranny shop to keep the car because repair expenses were going to be so ridiculous.

If you don't drag, get an M5R2 to put in there. Better yet, sell that car and buy a car that already has one. They are cheaper to fix, and less problematic.
JMHO,
good luck!

paul

Back