Auto dimming mirror wiring??

91BlackBird

Hey guys.
New here,i'm usually on the turbocoupe site as that is my summer car but i picked up a 91 supercoupe for the winter.
My car is a 91 black auto,with moonroof and almost every power option including jbl sound system,got the car for 500cdn with 132km's on the clock but it has it's share of usual t-bird rot,rockers,lower fender etc,but it's all under the skirting so the car doesn't look half bad.
Anyhow's i picked up an auto diming mirror out of a 93tbird in the wreckers yesterday and was wondering if anybody knows the correct wiring diagram for it??
It has 3 terminals labeled 1,2,3 on the plug,does anyone know which wires are which,the last thing i want to do is damage my new mirror by hooking it up backwards.
I know there is a 12v switched,ground and reverse circuit,i planed on tapping into the power from my moonroof switch.
If anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated,thanks.
:D

The middle black wire in the plug is ground, the second black wire ties to the reverse circuit, and the black/white wire is 12v. Alternatively, if you look at the back of the mirror, the right pin in the mirror housing is ground, the middle pin is reverse, and the left pin is 12v.

Thanks a bunch,is all installed now.
Interesting that i didn't have to change my winshield button,it fit right on.

Thanks a bunch,is all installed now.
Interesting that i didn't have to change my winshield button,it fit right on.

Buttons have been the same for years. My dad's 70's pickups have the same thing, and I bet back through the 60's is the same as well. Pretty neat huh? :)

now im lost were would I find the back up wire? I have 92 5speed w/sunroof do I need to hook up the reverse for it to workie? I never use my rear view to back up BTW Thanks for the info!!

I don't think you'd need it to make it work. I would assume that it's the same signal that lights the backup lights when the car is in reverse...so just find the wire that senses the car is in reverse, or find the 12v lead from the backup lights themselves. I guess it could be the ground lead that it takes though... let me know if you want to hook it up, and I'll look it up in the electrical diagrams.

thanks matt , your bird looks nice im goinig to hook it up tonight see if it works looks like JD knows the wiring appreciate the help ted

a flash light works, usually :)

Just aim at the mirror as if it's headlights coming through the rear window :)

thanks matt , your bird looks nice im goinig to hook it up tonight see if it works looks like JD knows the wiring appreciate the help ted

Thanks...it doesn't look as shiny anymore. It's more of a dark-gray color from being sun-faded. The paint (and clearcoat?) is still fine, but it's just worn out like the rest of the car.

I don't think I mentioned it before, but I just got one of these mirrors for my car a few weeks...or months ago. I finally glued it to the windshield, but still haven't hooked it up.

Well she works I dig it. wonder if I have the right harness to swap my lights to auto that would be the last option the car is missing having the windows tinted Fri 38% its a little darker then thats legl but I don't think the busys will notice $200.00 for a guy to come to my place and do it think thats a good price?

My car has the mirror with map lights and I have an auto dimming mirror to put in it. Is the wiring on the two plugs the same or do I need to rewire it?

Rad,
JD posted the wiring black w/white is 12v and the middle black is ground I just grabbed the power from my sun roof switch. and didnt use the 3rd wire I don't use my rear view for backing at night anyway

My car has the mirror with map lights and I have an auto dimming mirror to put in it. Is the wiring on the two plugs the same or do I need to rewire it?

You'll need to rewire - one is ground, one is constant 12v, and one is switched (door jam switch) on the "rear-view-map-lighted mirror"

I've got the same situation, but like I said, haven't wired anything up yet. Maybe I can make a tech-writeup on that too... to go along with the pending sunroof refurb/adjust write-up :rolleyes:

Rad,
JD posted the wiring black w/white is 12v and the middle black is ground I just grabbed the power from my sun roof switch. and didnt use the 3rd wire I don't use my rear view for backing at night anyway

That's what I was thinking about doing at first, but bigger plans to remodel the sunroof switch/dome light/clock/spot-light panel ruined any possible short-cuts for me!

I love how all my little projects always get too big to do in an afternoon. And of course, it HAS to be all planned and thought-out beforehand. :rolleyes: :eek: It'll probably take me 20 hours altogether - if things go well on the construction.

So I could just wire it for the 12v and ground and not worry about the reversing? I'm putting in the moonroof switch that has the lights with it, when I get it from "twotonethunder". Hmm, come to think of it, I might have gotten the mirror from him too. Can't remember now. :eek: :rolleyes:

yeah my sunroof switch has 2 lights in it I just grab the one that went hot when I turned on the key and grounded the middle black wire 10 minute job

Back