Trying to disable auto high beam shut off

Jeremy_K

Does anyone know how to disable the sensor that kills your highbeams when it sees lights oncoming? I don't want to yank the plug to the mirror because I like the auto dim feature of the mirror.

On the '89 I used to have, I just turned that feature off...Not sure if you have the exact same set-up (I would assume so) but there should be a dial type knob to the right of your headlamp switch. If you've got the autolamps, then there will be 2 of them. One shuts off the autodim feature and the other shuts off the autolamps.

If I remember correctly --
There is a switch to the left of the dash gages. One wheel is for delay timing (wait time before lights are turned off) and the other is for range of dimming (how quick you want them to react to light). If you turn the wheel all the way down it will click into the off postion. This off works on both wheels -- lights off delay and the dimming range.

Hope this helps
Take Care
dbd

007-,On my car, the only thing those switches control is the headlights. One is the delay off time and the other adjusts when to auto-turn on the headlights. The auto dimming mirror has it's own controls on the mirror itself. There is no switch to stop the highbeams from going off when the eye sees light.:confused:

I'll try to better explain my problem. For example, I'm going down a pitch black country road at night with my highbeams on. All of a sudden I come up on a passing car. The other car's lights will automatically turn off my highbeams due to the sensor below my rearview mirror. Sometimes I'll pass a big reflective sign and it will fool the sensor and the highbeams will flash on and off until I pass the sign.

007_SuperCoupe and dbd are right. One thumbwheel controls the autodim feature. You need to turn it to the off position to disable this function.
The other thumbwheel controls the autolamps and the time they stay on after the ignition is turned off. You cannot use the thumbwheels to adjust when to auto-turn on the headlights. The only way to do that is to change the sensitivity of the sensor by adjusting its potentiometer.

J.D. said:
007_SuperCoupe and dbd are right. One thumbwheel controls the autodim feature. You need to turn it to the off position to disable this function.
The other thumbwheel controls the autolamps and the time they stay on after the ignition is turned off. You cannot use the thumbwheels to adjust when to auto-turn on the headlights. The only way to do that is to change the sensitivity of the sensor by adjusting its potentiometer.
:eek: Thanks guys, I'm an idiot. I went out tonight and tried it out. I didn't realize that the "dim" thumbwheel had an off position. I never turned it that far before. Thanks for the help.

-Jeremy

Back