PDA

View Full Version : Salvage Yard SC's

txsc
12-21-2005, 11:27 PM
While snooping around recently for parts for my '90 XR7, I ran across 3 SC's in area salvage yards.

- '89 5-speed; no engine/trans; bad repaint; bad interior; whipped and beaten; not rusty.

- '91 automatic; no trans; engine there but broken balancer; bad paint; may have some useable blue interior parts; whipped and beaten; not rusty.

- '95 (can't remember trans); no engine/trans; many body/interior parts missing; not rusty (I already got the cluster).

- Pair of 35th. wheels w/caps. Didn't look really close, but can check them outside in the daylight if anyone wants them. I thought price was high at $50/ea, so I left them on the rack.

Let me know if you have specific needs, and the next time I get back to the yards, I'll check. Prices are likely to be VERY reasonable (I practically STOLE the '95 cluster). I'm in these yards enough that I'm known as the "T-bird guy", so they're pretty good to me.

Let me know...

Jerry Davis
jdavis300@satx.rr.com

speed95
12-22-2005, 04:18 AM
How about the 95 rear bumper cover? Let me know when you get a chance.

Chris

89SCK@t
12-22-2005, 08:23 PM
what part of san antonio man?? why are you holding out?? tell me man!!!

txsc
12-23-2005, 12:16 AM
How about the 95 rear bumper cover? Let me know when you get a chance.

Chris

If I recall correctly, what was left on the body was bad. Next time I'm down that way, I'll check it out and let you know.

JD

txsc
12-23-2005, 12:28 AM
what part of san antonio man?? why are you holding out?? tell me man!!!

I'm NOT holding out; that's why I posted them here! Since the wider audience isn't in SA, I figured I could go check out requestes for anyone interested. Since you're in SA, I'll put you onto them; knock yourself out!

Just be forewarned; none of these cars are anywhere near nice. They are all beat pretty hard, and have been cannabalized to some extent. Don't expect any good interior or exterior cosmetic parts. Mostly, they're good for small odds and ends mechanical and electrical parts at best. I suppose if an ambitious northerner wanted a rust-free shell to fix their rust-bucket, they'd work for that, too. Wouldn't be worth the cost and trouble, though.

I can't remember the yard names; they're all small mom-n-pop operations. I went to about 15 yards that day, large and small, so I don't recall the small ones. I DO, however, remember where they are. I'll pull out a phone book this weekend, and try to narrow down the names and addresses. The '89 and '95 are in SA, and the '91 is in Austin. Stay tuned...

JD

DirtySouthBird
12-23-2005, 04:41 AM
Hey is the 95 a 5 speed? if so I will go over this weekend im only 3hrs away.. in the RGV!! Hey do you know of any good tuners out in SA? theres a local dyno that does tuning but mostly 4.6 and stangs dont know if they can tune an SC.. let me know on that 95..

rzibilske77
12-23-2005, 11:37 AM
make your way out to houston around march.....:)

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71462

Hey is the 95 a 5 speed? if so I will go over this weekend im only 3hrs away.. in the RGV!! Hey do you know of any good tuners out in SA? theres a local dyno that does tuning but mostly 4.6 and stangs dont know if they can tune an SC.. let me know on that 95..

txsc
12-25-2005, 10:56 PM

Sorry; the '95 is an automatic.

JD

txsc
12-31-2005, 09:18 PM
While snooping around recently for parts for my '90 XR7, I ran across 3 SC's in area salvage yards...

I went salvage yard hunting this morning, and have the addresses of yards with SC's. All are in San Antonio, TX:

Pick-N-Pull
11795 Applewhite Rd.
(210) 624-2830

'89 SC Automatic
Black w/red interior

Has a standard 3.8 engine installed. Much of the ground effects are intact on the sides. The front bumper cover is gone, and the rear cover is trashed. There are 3 useable SC wheels with the car, but I got the caps. They're not the greatest, but could be cleaned up for a driver. The interior is shot - I couldn't find one decent piece. It's a moonroof car and the assembly is intact, although the sun shade is in bad shape. The switch is there, but the bezel is missing. There's not much useable on this one but misc. modules, etc.

Curiously, it had a standard foot-operated emergency brake assembly, and a standard console without the hand brake assembly. The build date was 07/26/89, so it's possible it came that way from the factory if they had run out of SC hand brakes on the line at that late date. If anyone else has an SC with a later build date, let me know.

They also have dozens of MN12's in various years and colors. However, the above-mentioned 89 SC is the only supercharged MN12 they have.

Acme Auto Parts
1573 Somerset Rd.
(210) 924-4347
(800) 638-2263

'89 SC 5-speed
Midnite blue w/blue interior (repainted non-stock color)

Engine and transmission are gone. Some of the suspension pieces are missing. ABS master cylinder is long gone. Body is pretty beat, with a very poor non-original paint job. Bumper covers are shot. Some ground effects pieces useable. Interior has been exposed to the elements, so there's not much left of it. The clutch pedal assembly is still there. The cluster is intact - odo. shows 147XXX miles.

Alamo City Recycled Automotive Products
1201 Somerset Rd.
(210) 923-7300

The '95 automatic car that I found there two months ago has been crushed. There wasn't anything left of it anyway.

They have a titanium '90 Cougar LS w/blue interor that has some decent parts left on it. Hit in front, so nothing is good there. The rear bumper cover is very decent however, and will work on XR7's.

There - full disclosure! That's all I found today. Next time I get to Austin, I'll post the information on where the White '91 SC is sitting.

JD

DirtySouthBird
12-31-2005, 10:43 PM
Hey that SC in pick and pull is just an lx w/ sc grnd effcts. i had checked it out already some time back.. they just had a bunch of cougars.. but where else would they have some, you know other yards.. besides those.. has any one tried courpus christi?

txsc
12-31-2005, 10:47 PM
Hey that SC in pick and pull is just an lx w/ sc grnd effcts. i had checked it out already some time back..

Nope, it's an SC. I checked the VIN as well as the core support tag; both read "64R", which is definately an SC. It also had the 4-wheel discs (which could have been an LX option), SC seats, and ground effects. Although the engine has been changed out, it's an SC. You must have seen a different one.

JD

the-big-e
01-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Mine has a build date of 4-89 and it has the hand brake.....

tbird88
01-02-2006, 09:53 PM
About the 95 you mentioned in your first post, ya said the rear bumper was funky, is the black trim strip still there? I'd take one in almost any condition, the spare 94/95 cover I have is missin' the strip.

'bird

txsc
01-02-2006, 10:54 PM
About the 95 you mentioned in your first post, ya said the rear bumper was funky, is the black trim strip still there? I'd take one in almost any condition, the spare 94/95 cover I have is missin' the strip.

'bird

Per my updated post, the '95 has gone to the big crusher in the sky. Sorry.

JD

txsc
01-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Mine has a build date of 4-89 and it has the hand brake.....

Yeah, both of my '89's were built around that time frame also, and they have the typical hand brake. I'm thinking more like units built in the last half of the last week of '89 model year production MIGHT have used base model brakes. Since the SC's were such a small percentage of total MN12 production, they might have ran short of the lower-usage hand brakes in the last 2-3 days. Having worked in assembly plants in the past, I can assure you, they wouldn't stop the production line for something like that. There's a chance that a few got away with LX emergency brakes. There wouldn't have been to many.

If that's the case, it'd be interesting to see if any members have an SC with the conventional brake. They'd likely be built around that model year build date.

Thanks,

JD

TbirdSCFan
01-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Per my updated post, the '95 has gone to the big crusher in the sky. Sorry.

JD:eek: I hate it when they do that. I'd better run down and grab some parts before the other 2 meet the same fate I suppose. Do you recall if the 89 or 91 were complete with spindles+hubs ?

txsc
01-03-2006, 03:53 PM
:eek: I hate it when they do that. I'd better run down and grab some parts before the other 2 meet the same fate I suppose. Do you recall if the 89 or 91 were complete with spindles+hubs ?

I know the '89 has the spindles and hubs, and I'm pretty sure the '91 has them too. I don't think the '89 is going anywhere soon, but the '91 might be gone in 2-3 months, judging from their typical inventory turnover.

By the way, the other '89 I found has a red leather fold down rear seat. I know you've changed your upholstery, but thought you might be mildly interested in it as a spare. I think it was in pretty decent shape.

Let me know if you want to pick a date to come down, and I'll clear the calander and we can gang up on the project.

JD

ilusnforc
11-09-2006, 01:33 AM
Old thread but... That Pick-N-Pull on Applewhite Rd is where I had spotted an '89 or '90 XR7. It was behind a small chain link fenced area near the front with the "special" cars, it was mostly intact still but looked like it had taken out a telephone pole or a tree or something to the passenger side headlight and pretty well pushed it into the engine bay area, but the motor may not have been damaged. It may not be there anymore... that was quite some time back, maybe a few years ago, but that's where I got my fancy rare grey cloth folding rear seat (I was working at a detail shop at the time so yes I did steam clean it).