Quick Question

CMac89

I checked preload by making marks on the pushrods then measured the mark with some vernier calipers. I got around .080" on all of them and they all took around one full turn to tighten down (360* rotation of the ratchet).

I searched and found it should be around 1/2 to 1 1/2 so this should be okay. Maybe I did something wrong to get .080"?

What do you think?

Last edited:
CMac89 said:
I checked preload by making marks on the pushrods then measured the mark with some vernier calipers. I got around .080" on all of them and they all took around one full turn to tighten down (360* rotation of the ratchet).

I searched and found it should be around 1/2 to 1 1/2 so this should be okay. Maybe I did something wrong to get .080"?

What do you think?

Looks right to me.

What looks right, how I measured the preload or is one full turn around .080"?

I ordered shims just in case.

CMac89 said:
What looks right, how I measured the preload or is one full turn around .080"?

I ordered shims just in case.
Both. You can run it at .080" or you can shim it down. The lifters have .180 travel so it's not like you are into a danger zone at .080". I think it takes like 2.5 turns to bottom a lifter.

Well, you could always do like the GM guys do and run .006" preload. :eek:

I don't think there is any magic number. Lifter bleed-down and oil pressure all play into how the lifter is going to perform. At the rpm ranges that you are going to run this motor though, it will make minimal if any difference.

Back