cold air intake design

takotruckin

ok, my motors runnin good, now i need ideas to move my air intake away from the dust. im thinking up over the top of the motor, in the center. i know 90* bends are bad, but where are they better, before or after the MAF. heres a pic so you can get an idea of what im workin with

Attachments

• engine cage.jpg
    engine cage.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 169
If you go to K&N's website, I know they sell some kind of sleeve that goes over the cone filter for dusty climates. Supposedly it doesn't have a measurable negative effect on the flow. It's been a while since I saw it. Either that or use a box from another intake kit and plumb plastic or aluminum flex piping from the box into the covered area of the engine compartment. That way, You wouldn't need to mess with custom bending or worrying about bends before the MAFS.

Just get one of those scoops that mounts up above the roof. Come straight down the back window into the MAF and then turn and go into the TB.

You got any action videos of that SICK S.O.B.? :eek:

(And my brother thinks he has somethin' with his little Nissan 4x4 w/ fuel injected Chebby 4.3 :rolleyes: It goes like stink but I bet it ain't NUTTIN compared to that Bug. )

Tracy

those little covers are called outerwears. they help a little but not much. so bends go after the MAF? those roof scoops have a habit of getting hit by branches and such, so the filter is probably gonna go over the motor, or in the car, but that might get loud huh.
so, the car doesnt do wheelies, but it sure will spin the tires. for a rear engine car, it sure does like getting sideways. sorry, no action videos. i have 56k, no way im uploading a video.

you know, i kinda like the idea of just building a box over the filter, then running lines to the clean air. how much do i need to have for it to breathe through? would a 3 inch tube be enough, or should i go for like 2 2 inch tubes, itd be like the intake on a injected 351

Last edited:
takotruckin said:
those little covers are called outerwears. they help a little but not much. so bends go after the MAF? those roof scoops have a habit of getting hit by branches and such, so the filter is probably gonna go over the motor, or in the car, but that might get loud huh.
so, the car doesnt do wheelies, but it sure will spin the tires. for a rear engine car, it sure does like getting sideways. sorry, no action videos. i have 56k, no way im uploading a video.

you know, i kinda like the idea of just building a box over the filter, then running lines to the clean air. how much do i need to have for it to breathe through? would a 3 inch tube be enough, or should i go for like 2 2 inch tubes, itd be like the intake on a injected 351
My honda SUV has a goofy shaped tube coming from the airbox that goes to the front area for fresh air. It only has about a 2-1/2" - 3" opening leading into the airbox the size of the SCs airbox. 3" should work well. Try the flexible aluminum dryer vent to get it into an area with more fresh air. Most dryer vent is 4" so even better.

How aobout using a 140 degree elbow and mounting the MAF and air filther in the back package shelf. It will give you some flow through ventlation.

Back