Got my car put back together and....

CMac89

Started driving it around then gave it a little WOT testing and when it got around 3500 or so it started fading, cutting out, and missing. Plugs and wires are new (Taylor's and DP's).

I don't have a knock sensor in so maybe that's it? It didn't miss or cut out before I took it apart to set the preload right in the lifters.

First time I went WOT after I put it back together it felt slow. Then a minute later I tried it again and it just all of a sudden "fell on it's face" and quit revving.:confused:

Any thoughts appreciated:)

Double check that your wires are on in the correct order...some of the service manuals are wrong. If they are okay, then I would suggest checking the fuel pressure.

PlugandWireLayout.jpg

David

Okay, I just double checked the wires and they were okay. Fuel pressure is at 40 with vacuum hose plugged in.

Before I took it apart to fix preload it pulled pretty hard only taking it to 4K. I put it back together and it goes weird on me.

Another thought, I just put new lifters in so maybe they just aren't pumping good enough and it doesn't have much lift?

Thanks for the response:)

No. You either have issues with an extremely lean mixture or you have ignition problems. I would suggest a tune asap.

Dave, I have one of your chips, so I was thinkin that it should be somewhat close, but i'm not sure.

I agree with the tune though. I'm in the process of a FMIC setup and I wanted to get an alky kit before tuning.

Thanks for the help.

I took all of the spark plugs out and every one of them are white with a really light red tint on them.

I've honestly have yet to see a spark plug come out with a light red colored tint on them. What is this?

CMac89 said:
I took all of the spark plugs out and every one of them are white with a really light red tint on them.

I've honestly have yet to see a spark plug come out with a light red colored tint on them. What is this?

Not sure what the red is, but I'll bet the motor is quite lean. I sent you an email.

Blown 91 Bird said:
cant say ive seen red on a strap either...but white is definetely lean. Want a bit of a greyish color on the strap
Everythings as white as Larry Bird mooning from a bus.

What kind of plugs did you put in it. I have seen the red color your talking about, but ive only seen it with the Bosch plat. plugs. Never really heard why they turn that red color, i guess its just something to doo with the platinum coating that Bosch puts on the plug.

Derek

I found something weird that I didn't notice. A month or so ago I ordered a set of double platinums from advanced auto and two spark plugs had the chrome/shiny body and the other four were just black and look liked the regular platinums.

All of the plugs are 2544, but the two shiny plugs had blue writing and said Platinum Pro.

Will it rev past 3500 smooth under partial throttle? I would try to be REAL REAL sure that the preload is right. Sounds a bit like floating valves.

BTW... AllData says this:

Correct valve clearance is .09-.19 inch.
A .060 inch longer or a .060 inch shorter pushrod is available to compensate for dimensional changes in the valve train. If clearance is less than specified, the .060 inch shorter pushrod should be used. If clearance is more than the maximum specified, the .060 inch longer pushrod should be used.
Using an auxiliary starter switch crankshaft until No. 1 cylinder is at TDC compression stroke, then compress valve lifter using tool T82C-6500-A or equivalent, Fig. 5. At this point, the following valves can be checked: intake Nos. 1, 3 and 6; exhaust Nos. 1, 2 and 4.
After clearance on these valves has been checked, rotate crankshaft until No. 5 cylinder is at TDC compression stroke (1 revolution of crankshaft), and then compress valve lifter using tool No. T82C-6500-A or equivalent, Fig. 5, and check the following valves: intake Nos. 2, 4 and 5; exhaust Nos. 3, 5 and 6.

Good luck man.

Mmt

Methylcyclopentadienyl Manganese Tricarbonyl (MMT). Used as an octane booster, it can cause red deposits on spark plugs.

The preload is at .045-.055. The valves aren't floating because it hasn't done this before and has previously revved to 5K with no problem.

Thanks for the replies:)

Jim Cook said:
Methylcyclopentadienyl Manganese Tricarbonyl (MMT). Used as an octane booster, it can cause red deposits on spark plugs.
Exactly. The only time I've seen red deposits was after using octane booster.

CMac89 said:
I've never used octane booster. The only fuel I use is Sunoco 94.
Well maybe it's an addative they use to attain 94 octane :confused: I'm still not sure how it relates to your overall problem.

Back