I got a ? on a grand prix i need some of your guys advice.

94SCBird

alright my friend at school finally blew up his 90 cougar and he bought a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Coupe, with the stock 3800 motor, and somewhere somebody told him it has 210 hp? which doesn't make since to me because the ford 89-93 Charged 3.8's have 210 hp, i mean i dont know if he was looking at the GTP ratings or what im not sure what the GTP ratings are so i dont know if he was or not but i just need you guys to clear it up. i did a search and found that it said it was around 195 hp? idk if this is right.

jus help me out guys because im tired of taking all this ~~~~ from all these stockers and think there fwd's are fast, i got enough problems with the ricers in town i dont need domestics givin me trouble. :p

thanks keith

okay okay. explain it all over again.

why are they giving you trouble? And what are you trying to find out again? Think before you type.

What i understood is...

You just want to know there horsepower right?

And you also want to know if you can beat it right?

94SCBird said:
alright my friend at school finally blew up his 90 cougar and he bought a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Coupe, with the stock 3800 motor, and somewhere somebody told him it has 210 hp? which doesn't make since to me because the ford 89-93 Charged 3.8's have 210 hp, i mean i dont know if he was looking at the GTP ratings or what im not sure what the GTP ratings are so i dont know if he was or not but i just need you guys to clear it up. i did a search and found that it said it was around 195 hp? idk if this is right.

jus help me out guys because im tired of taking all this ~~~~ from all these stockers and think there fwd's are fast, i got enough problems with the ricers in town i dont need domestics givin me trouble. :p

thanks keith

The Grand Prix GT's had 195-200 or 205 (can't remember exactly) depending on the year. The GTP - 240. Also, the Ford 3.8 and the GM 3.8 are completely different engines. So just because the engines are the same displacement doesn't mean they will produce the same hp.

Last edited:
i just wanna know if anybody knows the exact HP of the 3800 motors in a GT Coupe, and if i could beat him?

thanks keith

if u killed the GTPs than that GPX is no problem! Pretty obvious. Dont sweat it. Those cars are often mis-treated and are very tired at a young age.

BTW, GTP motor is 240bhp.

brake horsepower is at the flywheel. so it would be less than 200 at the tires. isnt it?

Yes, brake horsepower is at the flywheel or numbers spec'd from an engine dyno of some sort, it doesn't always mean less at the wheels because some companies under-rate their engines. LS1's normally put down close to what they have rated at the flywheel.

No, it doesn't mean that at all. It means that they claim 330 when the dyno shows 350 or something to that effect.

Yeah, 195-200 HP. You should have no problem. And with the GTPOs, remember, they aren't even intercooled from the factory and mine is running 13s with less than 400 in mods :) not bad for a FWD POS............

like i said. you should have no problem beating the GPX. If you want i can show a video of me whooping a 2001 GTP. Video is kinda short but i WIN! :D
Just get them off the line.

i would be interested in the video when i had my 94 thunderbird lx v8 i got beat by a 2004-2005 gtp it was even off the line and then he got me by about 1/2 of a car so the sc could whoop the gtp even

stock for stock a GTP will whip an SC's ~~~. A 5-speed late model SC would be a drivers race, but I think a late model auto would get beat since it has one tire power and will just spin off the line. I like the newer cars, but the autos need trac-lok, what a stupid ford decision. My friends is quick from a roll but from a dead stop just cooks the tire.

A GP GT might be a good race, they are good for mid 15's stock. Your SC will have a torque advantage but he is ligther. Just put 20 bux on it and race him. HP is 200hp flywheel. Not sure on torque.

This post needs less talk and more racing. :D

ill run it. aint afriad of no GM. unless its bearing the SS logo or the WS6 logo. and by SS i mean CAMARO thats it. nothing else.

95scfan said:
i would be interested in the video when i had my 94 thunderbird lx v8 i got beat by a 2004-2005 gtp it was even off the line and then he got me by about 1/2 of a car so the sc could whoop the gtp even

Was this a pre 97 GTP? Was the 4.6 stock. my GTP ran 15.0 stock to the filter with a terrible 2.3 60 ft, most are in the 14s, your average 4.6 is what, a 16.1-16.4 second car. Something is up here. Sure it wasn't just a GT? That sounds more like what you raced if it was a 97+. pre 97s had the 3.4 NA and were quite a bit slower than the SCed models and on par with the newer 3.8 NA.

Back