PDA

View Full Version : Removing Rear Sub Frame!

darkstar_one
12-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Hey,

Since i am in the middle of doing a massive suspension rebuild. I am trying to remove the rear subframe. Now the problem. I am trying to remove the rear knuckles to remove the half shafts and lower the differential before removing the sub frame.

To remove the knuckles. I unbolt them from the arms right? And then i remove the hub retainer nut in the middle and just pull out? Or is there something i am missing. Thanks.

TbirdSCFan
12-25-2005, 10:16 PM
Thats right, but you'll need at least a 3 jaw puller.

racecougar
12-25-2005, 10:53 PM
Unless you need to swap halfshafts, you could just leave them attached to the knuckles. It would save you some hassle.

-Rod

AsScLoWn
12-25-2005, 11:16 PM
if you have a full sized jack, remove the diff, suspension etc with the subframe, support it under the diff, it might wobble a bit so place some stands or blocks of wood on the edges of the subframe a few inches away if you're worried if you are doing it by yourself. If the bolts dont move because you drive in salt, you have to cut slots in the inner quarter panels to heat the panel nut holding the bolts in:rolleyes:

Ddubb
12-27-2005, 01:26 AM
Ive droppped the subframe assembly as a whole before. Just be sure to remove the E-brake cable and unbolt the driveshaft and you're good to go, although it is a bit heavy, but much easier to remove the components when they are not underneath the car.
Otherwise, if you want to remove the knuckles, just leave the half shafts attached. They just pop right out of the differential with a long flathead screwdriver or something simular.