Alcohol injection & Rotor coating questions

XxSlowpokexX

A few guys on the GTP Boards have complained of the alcohol injection stripping the rotor coatings off. Has anyone experienced this here?

Well, considering the nozzle is mounted on a return/lower IC pipe so the methanol never sees the blower, I'm sure nobody has had a problem with it.

I suppose it's possible, but FYI, the Snow system that has been talked about around here is typically plumbed into the tubes AFTER the supercharger. Thus it's not running through the blower at all.

The biggest concern I would have with moving any liquid through the supercharger is keeping the liquid atomized enough that things are damaged by trying to compress the liquid in the tight fitting of the rotor lobes.

This was something I discussed with Snow Performance before installing and recommending the kit here. While many people do install it in front of the blower, it was not recommended to me that way. This is also why I include the positive flow control solenoid - so that it can be installed anywhere in the pressurized side of the system without having the problem of siphoning or backfeeding.

:)

Damon,

With a blower that exhaust directly into the intake manifold like a GTP, Cobra or Lightning, there isn't a good place to put the nozzel without going thru the blower.

On an SC we don't have that problem.

David

David Neibert said:
Damon,

With a blower that exhaust directly into the intake manifold like a GTP, Cobra or Lightning, there isn't a good place to put the nozzel without going thru the blower.

On an SC we don't have that problem.

David
Good point Dave, I completely overlooked that reasoning.

it roots blower applications fuel is usually added before the pressurized system as it help lubricate and cool the blower. WHich would be a bad idea on the SC anyway being there is an intercooler in the way. I just want thinking. (I currently sick with a rather high fever...Yah thats my excuse)

On the other side of things are you guys putting it before or after the ACT sensor?

Year sago when I was experimenting with it I actually put it where the ACT sensor was and relocated that

You can put it either before or after the ACT but for best results I think it should go well before the sensor.

Alcohol will provide at least 20 deg and sometimes as much as 50 deg drop in ACT temps. Considering that the EEC begins to pull timing at 120 deg ACT and that most SC's do see more than 120 deg going down the track, it follows that performance will be improved by installing it such that the sensor reads the temp change.

However, if a car is dyno tuned (as it should be with an alcohol kit to gain maximum advantage), this is easily rectified so in the end it really doesn't matter much.

NYC is one of those great cities that doesnt suffer from Smog due to its geographical location.

Dave I was more concerned with the sensor getting a direct shot of methanol. You would then get a false temp reading as well as potentially damaging the sensor. Thats my main concern on where to locate sensor. Everything else is common sence. So how far away exactly should we go from the ACT sensor if shooting it before hand

Last edited:
FWIW Damon, I've got my nozzle mounted right after the IC, therefore hopeing the the alky is well-mixed with the air by the time it hits the ACT sensor. The only bad thing so far, is that I have to remove my Spearco IC to change the nozzle :eek:

Mine is mounted just before the ACT sensor. I would rather have located the nozzel about 12" before the sensor, but since the methanol is corosive to the steel IC tubes that came with my MP FMIC and I already had a tapped hole in the intake manifold adaptor from the propane injection system, it was an easy choice.

David

Attachments

• IM002901.JPG
    IM002901.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IM002912.JPG
    IM002912.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 67
I sprayed mine into the steel tubes, and due to the oil from the PCV system coating everything, I have not even a hint of corrosion on anything (yes I just pulled it apart). Seems the oil is good for something after all.

Damon, I don't know how long it takes for the stuff to evaporate, but given the ultra fine mist and 120+ deg air it is blending with, hopefully it is more or less instant.

My recommendation is still the same as it was in the beginning. If possible locate the nozzle immediately after the IC. If that is not possible, then just get it in there were convenient. We've installed it in the return adapter after the bypass tube and it seems to work ok.

Back