Hmmm whats the next step??

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
So far I have a 9" K&N cone clamped on to the MAF and an I/C fan... Car runs great and alot quicker than it was stock... Thinking of upgrading to a metal intake tube and something to keep the engine bay heat off the filter will this really gain anything or is it not worth the time? Also I am wanting to step up to a 5% pulley and already know the dangers of doing this with the stock exhaust.. I've heard alot of power can be picked up with aftermarket exhaust parts but i want my car to remain quiet (at least on the inside) and was thinking of eaither removing the cats and keeping everything else or replacing the resonator with a 3" in 3" out 1 chamber flowmaster i have laying around or just leaving the cats and removing the resonator but as i said i dont want a farty exhaust note and anoying interior resonance but i want to protect my head gaskets and free up some power. What kind of power would i be putting out with my current mods and adding a magnaflow resonator and 5% pulley?

Jacob,

It would be very helpful to know where do you want to end up in terms of HP or ET.

Yes a cold air divider would help but your not likely to feel anything. It will help your car from slowing down when the weather gets warmer. The 5% pulley won't hurt anything and will provide a noticable increase in power 10-15 HP. The raised top doesn't really do much unless you rev the motor higher than 4500 rpms.

I would get a set of gears (3.27 w/5speed or 3.73 w/auto) and some underdrive pulleys before doing the exhaust.

David

I dont want to really change gears out because this thing still gets drove alot and i like the mileage.. I just want to basicly get to the point where i am a bit faster than the post 99 stock GT stangs.

It will take alot more work than some pulleys to be faster than stock 99-04 GT stangs. I would say underdrive pulleys, lightweight jackshaft in either 5% or 10% overdrive, stock lightweight sc pulley, full exhuast but stock or ported manifolds, bigger MAF, maybe a bigger TB, and port you stock blower or buy a used 94-95 blower and port it. That shoould get you there the cheapest. Gears would really help though.

It all will come down to if the driver of the stang and if its an automatic or a manual trans car. The automatic will be the easier car to beat up on. If the person can drive and its a 5spd GT then you will likely need more mods then what I listed.

Shane

Last edited:
yeah, the post 99 mustangs are rather quick, as shane knows ;) because he has the magnaport resonators and then some pulley work...and wasnt faster than our friends 99 GT...kept up w/ it nicely, but was not faster...so thats how that works...

19TbirdSC91 said:
yeah, the post 99 mustangs are rather quick, as shane knows ;) because he has the magnaport resonators and then some pulley work...and wasnt faster than our friends 99 GT...kept up w/ it nicely, but was not faster...so thats how that works...

Sean, its Magnaflow not magnaport lol :p :D.

Dont forget that my 35th is a 5spd and has lost some weight so Jacob your going to have to make up for the weight disadvantage as well. It was a pretty far race between my friend in his 99 5spd GT and my 5spd 35th. I got up to his driver door with my front bumper. Good luck!

Shane

shane, you must remember that i am sick...and dazed and confused :confused: :confused: :confused: :p

oh, and i was on the phone and not paying attention? lol

Hmmm... was 95 the only year for coated rotor blowers? or is it cheap/easy to swap GTP rotors into our m-90's? and how much can be gained from it? Also if i go to a overdrive pulley for the blower will i still be able to stay out of boost as easily in normal driving conditions via the bypass valve?

The coated rotors came in 94/95 SC's. Yes you can swap in GTP rotors in you M90 and I am farely certain they swap right in without the need to mod your blower. Driving charactoristics should not change any with an overdrive pulley on the supercharger, but this is dependent on driving style. Only thing it changes is how fast it builds boost, not that you will hit boost sooner in the RPM band under normal stop and go driving. Now if you give it lots of gas to get going sure you will see boost sooner. I have a very soft foot for gas saving purposes (damn expedition :D ) so if you have a really heavy right foot you probably will see boost sooner.

Shane

For the most part i try to keep it out of boost but i have my days....Blower whine is awesome :) ... Aren't coated rotors good for 15/20hp?

I cant help you there but I do know they are a big improvement over stock. If you were to swap rotors in your M90 I would do some port work to it while you are in there.

Shane

I've always thought mine was a bit noisy at idle i dunno might be something else making noise but wont the snout bearings make noise at idle if they are worn? i've checked the oil in the s/c its full.. car only has like 112k on it.. anything above idle and its not noisy.. checked the water pump shaft for play.. whatever the noise is you can really hear it down by my K&N for all i know all S/C's do this..

Usually when the snout bearings start to go they sound like a coffee grinder. Is that what you are hearing?

Shane

Back