Upper reer controll armz

seawalkersee

I am tearing down a rear subframe to strengthen it. While I was pulling my upper controll arms, they moved in an eliptical motion. I pulled them out and sure enough, they are on an eccentric. Looks like we have more options for alignment then originally thought.

Anyone ever seen this? I just have never taken the uppr arm off before, just the knuckle.

Chris

And if you need them the Bushings for both the inner and outer portion of the rear upper control arm they are still available from TRW.

Inner Bushing (with eccentric) PN 12664
Outer Bushing at Knuckle PN 12663

The Inner bushing is eccentric so you can adjust camber of the rear suspension.

Still available from Ford under p/n F2SZ 5500 A. Sorry, don't have access to U.S. pricing, they are about $125 each up here in Canada.

They do include the inner bushing with the eccentric adjuster. Not sure if these arms are available as an aftermarket piece, since they are not usually a wearing part.

cheers
Ed N.

It was just very strange to see that. I have never had that part off of the car before. I think that and the front subframe is the ONLY thing I have not had off of the car.

Chris

Why would someone want to buy the complete arm if the bushings are available alone other than to replace one damaged in an accident? Last I looked in the states there were no arms available from Ford although at least one FORD parts depot was trying to get a batch made.

Duffy, when I checked today, there were roughly 50 arms available from various Ford depots around the U.S. :)

cheers
Ed N.

Well they must have been made then. I looked over a month ago. Chuck was trying to track them down as well and he is the one that told me his parts guy connection was working on getting a batch made.

Duffy Floyd said:
Why would someone want to buy the complete arm if the bushings are available alone other than to replace one damaged in an accident? Last I looked in the states there were no arms available from Ford although at least one FORD parts depot was trying to get a batch made.

1) rust
2) Fear runining/bending control arm when removing bushing as others have related stories of.

Remove & Replace

Duffy Floyd said:
Why would someone want to buy the complete arm if the bushings are available alone.
I bought a pr. of UCA's because I'm going to have some special work done to them. It's easier to remove one UCA & replace it immediately, than to remove it, wait 2 wks for the machine shop, & then reinstall it.

68COUGAR

Don't they make aftermarket arms like from lakewood or somthing like the ones for the earlier mustangs? What about that rear brace that connects to the gear box to the subframe uuummm like a rear stablizer? How much do they cost if they make em? I'm looking to move to NC in feb . After I receive my taxes I plan to race out every thing that has to do with the supercoupe. I'm gonna park it and rip her guts out and make her all nice new and shiny with a mean aditude rumble next to a 347 stroked mustang ready to blow its doors off.... Lol let me know on this subject.....Dave

huh?

91ScDrIvEr said:
What about that rear brace that connects to the gear box to the subframe uuummm like a rear stablizer?
You want to brace the back of your 5-spd transmission to the unibody? What is it that you hope to accomplish by that? There are already aftermarket poly cross member mounts & tranny mounts. Could you explain this tranny-to-body mount a little better?

Confused 68COUGAR

I'd love to hear this explanation as well. Not only that, but since when does a rear stabilizer (sway bar) have anything at all to do with connecting the transmission (gearbox) to the subframe? :rolleyes: Must be one of those "raced out" sway bars.

-Rod

He may be thinking of a torque arm, like the 3rd and 4th gen. Camaros and Firebirds had. It connected the trans. tailshaft to the diff. housing, in place of upper control arms, on their solid axle setup.

I'm guessing that wouldn't do much for a car with IRS, where the diff. housing is already mounted to the subframe.

cheers
Ed N.

91ScDrIvEr said:
Also do they make aluminu, drivshafts for our cars or carbon?
They do make aluminum driveshafts. And there are a couple of members that TRIED carbon driveshafts. Keyword: TRIED! I think I still have a piece of one of them that disintegrated while doing a burn out.

Botom Line: Stay away from Carbon Fiber driveshafts.

Back