Tuning a SC?

Sam Woodson

I just acquired my 2nd Tbird SC, I sold the first one back around 2000

The first one was a 92 SC 5spd, lots of options, things I didn't know were options until I just purchased my new one. The 92 had
Moonroof
Keyless entry
1/2 leather and tweed
cornering lights (option or model year difference?)
Climate control
Auto headlights
Auto dimming rear view mirror

My new SC is a 1990 Anniversary 5spd model that was mostly restored. It has the moonroof, but none of the other options. I was disappointed that it was missing the climate control, I really enjoyed that option.

Now for my question, the 1st SC I had was stock. Bought it with 36k miles, sold it with like 112k miles. This new SC has the following options, what else can be done? If I do more do I need to have it taken somewhere and Tuned so the air/fuel ratio is correct or will the computer be able to correct it? I'm only thinking of getting the MAGNUM POWERS AIR INTAKE SYSTEM or the Cold Air Intake Kit at SpinningWheels.Com

Any comments between the 2 intakes they sell?

I'm also curious as to the different ratings of the superchargers. There was the stock 89-93, then 94/95 was better. A better aftermarket ported one came out, then the MPII, now the MPIII, is that correct? How much better is the MPII I have over the stock SC supercharger?

Here is a list of the mods as they were given to me. Any idea how much HP this should be at with these mods? I can feel more of a kick in the pants than with the 92. Any mods missing that SHOULD be done?

Magnum Powers MPII Ported blower, Magnum Powers Intake Plenum, Magnum Powers 85 MM Throttle body, Motorcraft 36 LB injectors, 190 fuel pump, SVO 1.7 roller rockers, Centerforce clutch, B&M Ripper Shifter, SCI Underdrive pullies, Heartland Tensioner pullies, BHJ balancer, new Motorcraft DIS, Motorcraft wires, Motorcraft Plugs, Intercooler fan, K&N, ARP studs, new head gaskets, NOS heads, Magnum Powers Raised Blower Top, new radiator, hoses, belts, new motor mounts, new trans mount, IAC, TPS, everything is new

Yes the car will likely benifit from a tune. The MPII is a huge improvement over the early model blower, but will be limited by the stock heads and cam. I didn't see any exhaust system upgrades listed...is it still stock ?

If so, I'd upgrade the exhaust first then tune it. Dave Dalke (XR7Dave) can provide you with a custom SCT chip.

David

Back