Please Advise

Car2n

I was installing my cam sensor synchronizer assembly and the hex shaped intermediate shaft came off the synchronizer assembly and dropped down into position. I can't be sure if it actually dropped into the oil pump gear properly or needs a slight turn to drop into the gear. I have to pull the oil pump to get the shaft out now.
Should I attempt to install the synchronizer assembly once again with the shaft attached or could I install the synchronizer assembly and then install the shaft from the oil pump location then reinstall the oil pump.

Paul,
Is there not spring pin that holds the shaft in place do that does not happen?
other wise I would say it might be best to lower it from the top.

No, there isn't any spring clips or similar. It looks as though that end of the shaft "snaps" in or something. I have to drain the oil and pull the pump off to get the shaft out and then I can see how it goes into the synchronizer assembly.
If it won't stay in place sufficently to install the whole thing from the top then I'll insert the shaft from the bottom. I posted a link to this thread on the techinical forum and the only response thus far was that it can be done from the bottom if need be.

Paul,
That does not sound right to me I rember on mine there was a pin I think I will try and look tomorrow at one I have here and post back.

There is a pin that holds the gear in place but nothing for the shaft. The shaft bottoms ou about an eight of an inch higher than the lower edge of the gear. I have the assembly right here and can look inside where the shaft goes. It's just hex shaped for about an inch and then round for a little more than a quarter inch or so.
http://www.bromell.com/misc/cam.jpg

Last edited:
FYI for anyone being in this situation in the furure,,,,

The hex shaft does snap in/or out of the synchronizer assembly. That's why it came out when I was fighting to get the synchronizer assembly in place. It's a tight fit because synchronizer assembly hits the accessory bracket right as the gear passes through the opening in the timing chain cover.
Since I already had the oil pump primed, I removed the pump leaving the filter filled (only lost a couple drops of oil) and retrived the shaft. Set the crank at 26* ATC, inserted the synchronizer assembly, inserted the hex shaft from the oil pump location and snapped in place, then reinstalled the oil pump. It went very well and was much easier to do it that way opposed to having the shaft on the synchronizer assembly.

If I had a clip it remained inside the assembly. (I hope) It was really hard to see inside way down where that groove would sit.

I snapped my shaft in and out a few times and it definitely snapped in. You could feel and hear it without a doubt.

Last edited:
I've had the oil pump drive shaft get stuck in the oil pump due to suction after priming the oil system on engines. I can't remember what the heck I did, but somehow I managed to get something down in there and gently pull the shaft back out through the hole in the top of the timing cover. In spite of this happening to me two or three times in the past, on both Bill's car, Steve Richards' car, and my car, I've never had to pull the oil pump off to retrieve the shaft.

Cheers,

Sean

Yeah, I probably could have removed it through the hole. I couldn't imagine if it droped into the timing chain cover somewhere. What a way to have a bad day real quick. Since the motor was on a stand, removing the oil pump just took a few minutes.

Back