e brake

95scfan

ok i did a search on the e brake and i hear that the only way to adjust it is to do it at the nut in the console or the tensioner in the rear under the car by the differential but that is only half of the problem the car has a squeak in the rear brakes like the e brake doesn't fully disengage is there a way to fix this by tightening up the tensioner of do i have to pull off the wheel and try to locate this pin that everyone mentioned in the search posts????
help is greatly appreciated

thanks

I dont know if tightening the tensioner is going to make it disengage from your brakes any better. You can adjust it and see if that helps any. I did it with the clip in the rear of the car by disengaging the Ebrake pedal and removing the clip to move the cable over a little bit.
Ive adjusted the Cable in my LX but not on the SC .. only because I swapped in a different set of rear brakes and the tensioner was too loose, not making the E-brake fully engage.
I would take your rear wheels off and look at each caliper to see if its actually the Ebrake causing your squeak, and not a set of worn out brake pads.

it squeaks even when i am not on the brakes like driving down the street and when i brake it doesn't get any louder
another thing is when i start the car for the day to drive the e brake stays on but the light is off and i can feel it slow down like the brake is on when i am shifting gears

thanks for the reply

your calipers are stuck

You adjust the emergency brake at the rear behind the diff. Pull the clip away from the cable and the spring automatically takes up the slack (make sure the emer brake is off while adjusting). But I don't think that's your problem. I think you need to remove the calipers and lube up the slider pins. Lack of lube on the pins is causing the caliper to hang up and not release. If this is the case your inner brake pads are probably worn out also because they are in constant contact. John

Ive worked on a couple Mn12 and FN10's where the rear brakes looked okay from the outside, and when I took off the wheel and looked on the other side, the pads were completely gone and the rotor had some nice grooves in it. I would definately check that out before anything else.

yeah i need some locking lug nuts taken off before i can get to the rear caliper and the mechanic said he could take them off so i wil have to get that done and take the car to the doctor

thanks for the replys

Back