Seal that covers the bearings under the idler pulley??

sportymi

Ahhhh.....this is getting frusterating!

Okay... I'm getting my bearings replaced for my supercharger, but I don't know what ever happened to the seal that is supposed to fit over the bearings (below the idler pulley). I've called numerous car shops around my area, and nobody seems to have the seal that I need.

Could anyone help me find what I need please, so I can get the car back on the road??!!

Thanks,
Jamie Lynn

The idler pulleys all three of them on a super coupe have bearings, now follow close and ill go slow, release the tension on the belt by by putting an 18 mm wrench on the pulley bolt and turn clockwise. ok now the belt is loose take the same wrench and turn counterclockwise and remove bolt and idler pulley. now holding that little wheel look inside on both sides you will see a bearing with a removable plastic seal. carefuly with a dental pick remove one side take your pick as both seals are removable and underneath that seal you will see some nice little bearings that are hungry for a little more grease. i use high temp grease so it will not end up all over my hood and engine, it only requires a little lube to keep it spinning and noise free. now reverse the removal steps and go for a drive. now for the blower bearings i think you need a service manual because their is not enough room for me to post a step by step blower overhaul in this box. sorry,
EddiE 92_coupe
hope this was helpfull and this is a great easy project to start learning how to repair your super coupe.
next week how to upgrade lighting so all four of your 80/100 watt xenon headlights stay on with high beam switch to turn a dark mountain road into day time like driving.:D

Last edited:
If you tell me what seal you are refering to i might be able to help their are seals in the blower nose for the shaft ? seal on the crank shaft ? seals on the a/c pump ? seal on water pump shaft ? seals on the fuel injectors not sure what seal you are refering to ?

EddiE 92_coupe

Hmmm.....looks like you thought I was asking how to find the seal as I'm taking it apart.....

All I was wondering was where (what type of shop) I could get a new seal to fit over the bearings on the SC (below the idler pulley, in the front housing of the SC). I've already taken it apart and replaced the bearings....I just didn't have anything to seal it with. So, I took it back to a shop to get a sealed bearing. The guy working on it left me a voicemail yesterday that it was recommended by an employee at a Ford Dealership that I buy a new front housing for $100, but it would be a lot cheaper if I can find one at a junk yard off from a SC in good condition. I doubt that a junk yard will even sell me just the front housing off a SC (all or nothing, you know?) So.....that's where I stand now.

Thanks for the help,
Jamie

If your talking about the shaft seal on the blower drive front nose piece, it is manufactured by one of the major seal companys like "NATIONAL" they supply the seal for ford and any person that overhauls blower assemblies. you can contact www.magnumpowers.com as they overhaul these units and might send you a blower shaft seal or tell you the part number and who makes the seal they use and get one from a local auto parts store.
The idler pulleys are the one's that tension the belts, The DRIVE PULLEY is the one on the blower shaft that drives the rotors inside the blower unit don't confuse the parts person as to what seal you need as their is no replacement seal for idler pulley bearings, their is only a replacement pulley with a bearing installed available. my experiance working with aircraft bearings allowed me to show you how to service a sealed bearing as this is not in any service manuals for thunderbird cars.
hope this was helpfull and if you need a seal for a blower shaft drive , ask for the blower drive shaft seal NOT idler pulley seal OK !
go to pontiac dealer for supercharger fluid as it is 1/3 the cost and is the same fluid.
the dealer might not have just the seal they want to sell you the whole blower unit, i use KING BEARING for all my bearings and seals as they sell replacements for anything that requires bearings and seals. look in the phone book for local bearing supplyer and check with them as they are always cheeper than the dealer

Last edited:
The snout seal for the supercharger is made by several companies. The real good double lipped Viton seal is Chicago Rawhide #7968. It is about $25-$30, my auto parts stored ordered one for me.

Less expensive seals can be ordered (Chicago Rawhide #7966 or #7969, about $5), from Glazier's Mustang Barn. Just call (1-800-523-6708) and ask for the Thunderbird SC seal.

TCM also makes seals for the snout.

TCM Part # Shaft Bore Width Style Mat.

20X47X7VSF 20mm 47mm 7mm SF VCS
20X47X7VTF 20mm 47mm 7mm TF VCS

Their website is:

http://www.tcmseals.com/

Back