MPI on late model blowers, is it worth it?

rzimmerl

I picked up this late model blower pretty cheap this week, and since its a spare late model for me I have been pondering the idea of sending it to Magnum Powers to get the MPI work done. Is it worth have the port work done or should I just sell it and wait to buy something else down the road? Asking opinions or if anyone has pictures of the what the work looks like.

If you're going to have MP work done, have them do it on an early model blower. You end up at the same place for the same price I think, so use an early core.

*cough* some folks have an early blower that's PERFECT for MP-ing and would like to get their hands on a late model one *cough*

Of course, verify what I said with others first.

Last edited:
It would be best to get a early model case and late model coated rotors.The best of both worlds especially if you get the blower ported.

Mp Ii

rzimmerl said:
I picked up this late model blower pretty cheap this week, and since its a spare late model for me I have been pondering the idea of sending it to Magnum Powers to get the MPI work done. Is it worth have the port work done or should I just sell it and wait to buy something else down the road? Asking opinions or if anyone has pictures of the what the work looks like.
I got the next to last MP II. So if they haven't already used it, there should be one more MP II back plate avail.

You can spin an MP II @ +20% (300% Total), just ask Uncle Dave!!!!! +10% crank pulley, +10% JS pulley & stock SC pulley.

NOTE: If you use a +10% JS pulley & an +10% SC pulley, you will need to use a STOCK SC belt.

68COUGAR

Last edited:
I have an early and a late model just sitting on the shelf that I cant decide what to do with either one. Isn't the MP1 on the late model similar to the MP 2 on the early model. According to the description on the MP1 there is porting on the inlet side to match the MP inlet which I am about to order from Victor, and porting on the outlet side to reduce blower exhaust temps. Think I might call MP tomorrow and get some more information on exactly what it is and what I can expect, it is a $290 porting service according to their website. I am already spinning a stock late model at 10% and making just shy of to 250 hp to the wheels, with just bolt on parts. Just lookin for to squeeze some more out of the motor before I gotta open her up and do some surgery.

Last edited:
I have used the MPII and now have a MPIII.
I would not think about any other blower MP
has other than the MPIII. it by far the best
of the MP blowers.

Here is a list of the RWHP power I made with different M90 blowers.
With the same stock motor ,with AOD trans.

Stock M90 222.
MPII 250.
MPIII 280.

A/R blower ,I have one ,but have not bolted on yet.
I will in a couple weeks.And then dyno,weather permiting.

Hope this gives you an idea of RWHP rating for the different
MP blowers.

Randy

Randy
Were the rwhp numbers you cited for the blowers tested using stock or some combination of overdrive pulleys?

The MPI port on a late model blower was the ideal way to go when going through MP years ago. It is a port job unlike the MPII which cuts your early model case and puts a new end peice on it which is very similiar to a late model MPI port. MP went with the MPII because early model blowers were a diem a dozen. If you can still get an MPI port from MP and it was cheaper then I;d go for it. I never liked the idea of epoxying a peice on the back of your blower. Havant heard of one failing though either.

Alternatively ESM "The high speed lab" had offered a DIII port for late model blowers years ago. This port is much like the new MPIII in design and is what I consider the ultimate in ports. I had sent both my MP inlet and late model blower to them for reworking. I was more then happy.

Price around and see what is offered to you. Personally I wouldnt go the cost of the MPII If I already had a late model blower I could have ported.

rzimmerl said:
I have an early and a late model just sitting on the shelf that I cant decide what to do with either one. Isn't the MP1 on the late model similar to the MP 2 on the early model. According to the description on the MP1 there is porting on the inlet side to match the MP inlet which I am about to order from Victor, and porting on the outlet side to reduce blower exhaust temps. Think I might call MP tomorrow and get some more information on exactly what it is and what I can expect, it is a $290 porting service according to their website. I am already spinning a stock late model at 10% and making just shy of to 250 hp to the wheels, with just bolt on parts. Just lookin for to squeeze some more out of the motor before I gotta open her up and do some surgery.

MP plenums compatible with late model blowers or MPIIs are no longer being produced by Magnum Powers. Victor may or may not have one...doubt it. MPII blowers are no longer being produced, the casting pattern for the rear plate was revised to the MPIII design. MPIIs and MPIIIs can only be made from an early model case. The MPIII can only be used with the matching MPIII plenum.

MPI is a ported late model blower that should provide similar performance to that of a Magnason S port. Unfortunatly, if you don't have an MP plenum for it, it's not going to flow very much air. The MPII & MPIII design positions the inlet higher than is possible by porting the late model case. According to Magnum Powers this higher inlet position is more efficent and flows more air.

So your choices are. Port your late model blower into an MPI if you can find an MP plenum (stock plunum sucks and even when ported will only have a 68mm opening) or have your early model case reworked into an MPIII which includes a matching high flow MP plenum. The latter will provide the best performance, but will also cost the most. There are also a few people who are selling their used MPIIs and matching MP plenums...just watch the classifieds because they sell quick.

David

Dick Hughes said:
Randy
Were the rwhp numbers you cited for the blowers tested using stock or some combination of overdrive pulleys?

Dick
All the rwhp numbers listed above ,I was running a steel 10% overdrive
pulley on the blower.

Now I am running a 10% OD on the blower & 10% OD on the jackshaft.

Damon all were the early style blowers with oval intake port on the
blower. My MPII was a band new blower never used,then ported to MPII.
I am thinking of intalling it on a Harley Davidson Sporster.So I can kickass on Aprillas.(sp) :)

Thanks Randy

David,

From what I knew MP would do an MP II to a late model blower or an early model. Maybe I stand to be corrected again? However I am almost posative I'm right on that one.

Aprilias???

hell not to often someone mentions em...I just had to!

aplrilia.jpg

mille.jpg

Last edited:
Damon, you are wrong again. :p

The late model blower case can NOT be used on any MP cut/past process. The alignment of the bolts or something like that make it not possible. The late model blower can only be ported. "Magnaport", always been the same thing. It is a porting process only and it can be applied to either an early or an old style case.

XR7 Dave said:
Damon, you are wrong again. :p

The late model blower case can NOT be used on any MP cut/past process. The alignment of the bolts or something like that make it not possible.

Ok that I dont get. But thats ok. I need to dig some blowers out my garage now haha

Victor has them!!!!

Bought a polished MP Plenum from Victor last week, so he can get them for a limited time, nice price too! I am going through the same deal, not sure to port my late model or send out the early style?
David Neibert said:
MP plenums compatible with late model blowers or MPIIs are no longer being produced by Magnum Powers. Victor may or may not have one...doubt it. MPII blowers are no longer being produced, the casting pattern for the rear plate was revised to the MPIII design. MPIIs and MPIIIs can only be made from an early model case. The MPIII can only be used with the matching MPIII plenum.

MPI is a ported late model blower that should provide similar performance to that of a Magnason S port. Unfortunatly, if you don't have an MP plenum for it, it's not going to flow very much air. The MPII & MPIII design positions the inlet higher than is possible by porting the late model case. According to Magnum Powers this higher inlet position is more efficent and flows more air.

So your choices are. Port your late model blower into an MPI if you can find an MP plenum (stock plunum sucks and even when ported will only have a 68mm opening) or have your early model case reworked into an MPIII which includes a matching high flow MP plenum. The latter will provide the best performance, but will also cost the most. There are also a few people who are selling their used MPIIs and matching MP plenums...just watch the classifieds because they sell quick.

David

I ordered my powder coated MP inlet from Victor, yesterday. According to their store they only have 3 left. I am going to call MP on Monday, and see what is still available for porting options on late model blowers.

Back