Seized motor??

DirtySouthBird

Well I did a head swap about a month ago and never got a chance to turn it over since i did not have a damper... Now the motor wont turn over... Its perfectly good motor.. was wondering if there was any type of fluid or something i could put into the spark plug holes to loosen it up???? Need help and info...

thanks..

Dirty

Marvel Mystery Oil

DirtySouthBird said:
Now the motor wont turn over... was wondering if there was any type of fluid or something i could put into the spark plug holes to loosen it up???? Dirty
Yep! Marvel Mystery Oil.

I once had a 4 banger in a tempo that was completely seized up. Poured about 1/4" of Marvel Mystery Oil on top of each piston. 24 hrs later, it rolled over easily. I think it's the Petroleum Distillates in it, that make it work.

Do you mean that it won't even roll over with the starter?

68COUGAR

i've used diesel on plenty of siezed motors to free them up but it all depends on the reason that it is siezed.if it is because of rust then diesel works great but if it is jammed then no lude will work.i had a 302 that i thought was siezed so i removed the heads and it rolled free as can be.turned out all my valves had stuck from sitting.a quick rap with a dead blow hammer on every valve to free them and all was good again not saying that this is your problem though.

Well the motor worked great till the head change.. Think some of the antifreeze fell in there.. I had cleaned it up, but I guess not.. Well that mistery oil or diesel be poured in through the plug holes.. I dont wanna tear it apart again.. What about if i spray WD40 in there? and whre can I get mistery oil at?

thanks,
fred

Marvel Mystery oil is found at any auto parts store as well as any place that sells or services air powered equipment and compressors. Hardware stores may even have it.

Diesel fuel will work as well. Can't recall if it's #1 or #2 that works best.

Marvel Mystery oil was originally used for cleaning messes in the rocker boxes of aircraft motors from early motor oils that left lots of deposits.

Another product that could work is Sea Foam. They have a Deep Creep aresole spray product you can spray into the cylinders. I don't believe it'll cut as good as MMO though.

Have you verified the motor won't turn with a wrench on the crankshaft bolt? You sure there isn't a piston to valve interference occuring after re-assembly of the head?

well im sure there is no ptv problems.. i put in a coy miller stg. 1 cam, its a regrind so installed it w/key way same way it was taken out.. the motor was at tdc.. now i did install longer pushrods and 1.73 roller rockers and tightend them till they were nice and tight, they still turned by hand around.. so im sure they are not overtightned.. how well does that sea foam work?
thnks,
fred

Sea foam works like Marvel Mystery oil but is made up of different components. Sea Foam uses petroleum distilates, Marvel Mystery oil uses oil of pepper mint or some such stuff. It's almost like very light machine oil with anique smell.

When you say things rolled fine after adding the rockers, what did you mean, what rolled fine, the motor?

When you do the cam, don't you need to move each cylinder over to TDC?

well what I meant was the motor rolled over just fine before doing the swap.. I took everything off and assembled everything back w/the motor at TDC.. The cam is a coy miller regrind so I installed same way i took it out.. would the roller rockers have anything to do with it, i installed the 1.73 pedestal mount w/the 305 push rods just like in other adds.. I tried a can of sea foam and mistery oil in ea. side and it wont even turn.. guess gonna have to pull every thing out and start over again.. I cant reuse the headgaskets again can I? I havent even started the car..
thanks,
fred

I would first try loosening each rocker completely and try to turn it. The changes you mentioned COULD cause some interference. It's worth a shot before tearing the whole thing back down.

Well I already loosened the rockers removed the timing chain and it still wont turn over.. Guess im gonna have to take her out and rebuilt her.. How much does it cost to rebuilt an engine like this.. my only consirn is that the main bearings might be wasted.. you see when I pulled my original cam out it was kind of messed up.. the top of the lobes were worn out and parts of it had come of.. sort of eaten away.. What can you all sugest.. should i just take her out and pour diesel in her to see if she gives or just rebuilt her..

thanks,
fred

Well guess what.. the motor was never seized.. i had already taken it apart well barely.. but it was the tranny the whole time.. the converter was not set all the way... as soon as i unbolted it, it turned over.. Im such an idiot.. what will happen now that i already sprayed sea foam and poured a can in every side of mystery oil? Well I hope it dont mess up the rings.. just wondering if it will be ok..

thanks,
fred

Marvel Mystery Oil

DirtySouthBird said:
what will happen now that i...........poured a can in every side of mystery oil? fred

The Mystry Oil won't hurt anything. If any of it seeped past the rings into the oil pan, it will just mix with the oil. No problem with that.

You might wanna pull the plugs & roll the motor over a few times though. There might be enough Mystery Oil in there to come out the plugs holes.

Dunno anything about that foam stuff though. You'll have to ask people who've used it before.

68COUGAR

The seafoam won't hurt it. It may smoke a bit but it will not hurt the rings. Make sure to change the oil before you run it too long. Just incase any got by the rings.
Later
Shaun

Back