Snapped The Crank Bolt.....help

BlownSuperBird

Well after getting my car back on the raod after doing motor mounts and power steering lines. I go about 40 miles and PING I sheared the Balancer to Crank bolt.....the big one in the middle. Someone mentioned a bolt fer a 99 mustang one time....Does anyone know about this and have the part number....please hurry I start my new job Monday morning and Ford isnt open tomorrow

The parts are from a 98 'Stang since the SC parts are not available:

Bolt: F58Z-6A340-A
Washer: E2DZ-6378-A

You probably have issues with the damper as well, if it broke the crank bolt!

gldiii: you beat me to it and I have my reciept in front of me

you will need to change the damper/pulley, it broke the bolt for a reason. If you just change the bolt, the damper could fail at any time.

Aaron

Could it get me a month

In your honest opinion will it buy me a month of driving like an old lady. I just need to get to a paycheck or two before I will have 200 dollars to spend. Also, does anyone know any tips tricks to getting the rest of that bolt out.

Impossible to say. If the center aluminum hub is damaged on the current one, even great-grandmother driving could be enough at idle to have it break.

But each financial situation is different. If you recognize the risks, you can just put the new bolt back in and give it a shot!

Some people have been able to get the bolt out by using an EZ-out or reverse drill bit. Go slow as the bolt is pretty hard. You might need a right angle drill or have to remove more parts to get at it. I would not remove the balancer from the crank, if I could help it! Just take off the pulley. Good luck!

Thank you

Thank you both for all the help....I think I'm gonna have to try just the bolt fer now. i wish i could replace the balancer.

BlownSuperBird, I am courious on what made you check the bolt. Where you having any problems?

If you were having any starting problems? Replace the crank sensor.

Jerry

Back