Crank shaft problem

MySCRocket1203

so im driving and my car dies. i think dis or crankshaft sensor. well its niether. in the oprocess of replacing the crankshaft sensor i notice that eh the crank pulley moves back and forward. doesnt jiggle side to to side as far as i can tell but moves horizontally from back to front. OMG what the heck does that mean. the crankpulley doesnt spin when i turn the car over. if this is really bad im done being an sc'er

one thing at a time .......... take crank pulley off......... then look at harmonic balancer........... where exactley is the play in the crankshaft ?? sounds like you need a balancer ..... don't freak out.. one step at a time and do a search on balancers

the balancer looks fine. i cant spin it or anything like that. the whole assembly slides in and out with out spinning clockwise or counter clockwise

UH OH!!!! If the balancer/pulley moves in and out and it does NOT turn when cranking the engine over with the starter, then I hate to tell you this.... but it sounds an aweful lot like a broken crankshaft. Actually, I don't think it could be anything other than a busted crankshaft with those symptoms. Rebuild time.:(

Tracy

P.S. what year is it?

engine has 8000 miles on it. its still under warranty but im done with this car ill get it fixed and im done. as much as i love this car i need somethign with less problems. does anyone else think its a busted crank shaft, thats what i thought at first.

Woodruf Key?

Sheared Woodruf Key? Otherwise known as a crank key.

The balancer shouldn't move at all. If the balancer moves on the crank snout, then the balancer is shot. Is the crank bolt loose?

If the crank broke, wouldn't there be LOTS of BAD NOISES when it broke?

68COUGAR

what does it take to repair the key. would that be under a normal engine rebuild warranty do you suppose? the people who did the rebuild are closed til wednesday. if its somehting simple i can fix myself i might keep the car after all. (im going to buy a 2003 lincoln ls soon to make my daily driver and then put the sc aside for weekends. just got my realeaste liscence and i need a realtors car.)

MySCRocket1203 said:
(1) what does it take to repair the key. (2) would that be under a normal engine rebuild warranty do you suppose? the people who did the rebuild are closed til wednesday. (3) if its somehting simple i can fix myself i might keep the car after all. (4) (im going to buy a 2003 lincoln ls soon to make my daily driver and then put the sc aside for weekends. just got my realeaste liscence and i need a realtors car.)
Sent you a PM.
(1) Pull the engine, at the very least.
(2) Depends on the warrenty that YOU got
(3) Doesn't sound simple. It's Never a good idea to sell a car you Love!
(4) There was ONE yr. LS that could get the Big motor & 5 spd. Can't remember the yr. though. All other 5-spd cars, are the small motor.

Back