M5R2 transmission shifting problems.

67GT350

I have a 92 SC M5R2 that I put the first 120,000 miles on before giving it to my wife. I haven’t driven the car in a few months so the other day when I was driving it I immediate felt a change in how it was shifting. The shifter had more slop in it and while in neutral you could pull up on the shaft about 3/8”. After pulling the console I discovered the 3 Torx screws holding the shift lever plate were loose. I removed the plate to inspect for damage and found the spring and shim on top of the shift lever ball were damaged and the bushing is gone as in missing. I purchased the car new and have never had the transmission worked on. There is a real good picture of this on page 07-03-18 of the 92 Ford service manual. Anybody else had a similar problem? Are parts still available for the M5R2 transmission?

The only correction I would offer to what was written is do not cut the socket you intend to put in the lower positon. It is possible to press or tap out one of the alingnment pins far enough to install the plastic socket in one piece. I have done it at leadt twice myself so I know it is possible and results in a one piece lower socket that is less likely to fall apart and end up in the tranny.

All parts in stock at my local Ford dealer. $20.00. Thanks Duffy & Mike8675309. Now I have a project for tonight.

Just FYI for everyone, I think the only piece no longer available from Ford is the upper boot, E9SZ 7277 A. The other pieces are shared with the F-150 M5R2 and Ranger / Explorer M5R1 shifters.

cheers
Ed N.

Back