Headgasket Choices

83GT460

I will be ordering a set of head gaskets for my 95 SC for my upcoming head swap and would like to get opinions from those who have used various gaskets. I will most likely end up using an MLS gasket but I am curious if there are real differences in the available MLS gaskets out there. I have read that Felpro makes the MLS gaskets for Ford but are they the same as the PermaTorque that Felpro sells as aftermarket? Has anyone used the ML gaskets from Morana (Steel/Copper/Steel) or would the different metals cause problems? How many of you have used the MLS gaskets have actually acheived the proper block and head surface prior to installing the gaskets and how many miles have been put on the car since using these gaskets?

Charles

Vote for Titan

My next HG's will be the new Titan Head gaskets.

I have nothing against the Felpro blue or MLS, but after looking at the Titan specs, I believe they will seal better. Only time will tell, after all somebody :D has put them to a +20% test.

68COUGAR

Last edited:
That is another option that I am interested in however I am still not sure I believe that they will be produced for our aplication. However I hope that they do become a reality so that we will have at least one more quality option.

Charles

I am sporting the regular old Fel-Pro's on my 94 and they have been holding up fine for a few years worth of beatings now.
I would probably use them again if I ever have to replace them. The originals I pulled out looked mint and I have seen a couple of other 94-94 SC's come apart at over 100k with perfect looking gaskets as well.

Most will say that if you want to use a MLS gasket you really should have the block surface done.

Charles,

I'm using the Ford MLS gaskets which are identical to the Felpro Perma Torques. The deck on my block was not machined as smooth as it should have been and is much like the surface for a composite gasket with visible milling serations, but they still seal great. Because of a bad surface on the heads my first set of these gaskets leaked (Feb 02). After resurfacing the heads I've never had another leak. The fact that they don't require retorque after the initial heat cycle is also a huge plus.

It is necessary to use APR head studs and I would reccomend torquing the heads to 90-95 ft lbs. If the deck of the block is not a smooth as needed, spray block side of gasket with one layer off copper coat and allow it to get tacky before installing.

David

I will not use a standard Felpro on any motor which I rebuild. If you are getting the block decked then the Perma Torque gasket is the way to go. The Perma Torque is NOT the same as a standard Ford MLS gasket. I'm not sure about the gasket itself, but the Permatorque ones have a coating on them similar to what is used on some copper gaskets. It is there specifically to improve sealing on rougher surfaces.

I've also used the MLS gaskets on non-machined blocks in the past. I can make no real statements as to the durability of such an application, but I can assure you that there is more than one SC out there with nothing other than an MLS gasket installed on a stock motor.

Kevin uses stock felpros with an O-ring. You can Oring a block without pulling the pistons but I don't think you could do it without pulling the motor.

Thanks for the opinions, that is what I was looking for, just wanted to hear from some of those who have been using the different gaskets. I will be using the ARP studs and the heads will have the correct surface as for the block I haven't decided if I am going to pull it out to get it surfaced but may do so just for the piece of mind of knowing it is correct.

Charles

Back