PDA

View Full Version : Oil change light issues.

commonmanthemes
01-04-2006, 12:21 AM
I have a 35th 5-speed and the "oil change now" light won't go off. It was on when I bought the car in October, but since then I have changed the oil (along with a bunch of other things) and it still won't go off. Is there a procedure for making this happen. I'm running Pennzoil synthetic if it means anything.

SCaddict
01-04-2006, 12:48 AM
You have to turn the key to the "on" position, but don't start it. Then stick the end of a paperclip into the reset hole and hold it till the VMM resets and you are done. I think you have like 20 secs to do it.

Bigme574
01-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Yup, he is right, I just did mine for the first time yesterday, but, you were way off, its 16 seconds!

Nice to not see the flashing 'now' anymore

S_Mazza
01-06-2006, 06:57 PM
The VMM measures oil temperature and engine revolutions to calculate the recommended oil change interval. If it comes back on in 1000 miles for no good reason, it's probably because your oil level / temperature sensor in the pan is going bad.

(I didn't even know it was a temp sensor until lately.)

jookycola
03-16-2007, 03:16 AM
the faceplate on my VMM was broke off by some moron at the stereo shop. all that is there (behind the pin hole) is a flat black panel...possibly metal. Is there supposed to be anything there to trip the switch? Or is that all? Or does the metal of the paperclip touching this little black metal strip reset the VMM?

Scott Long
03-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Am I the only one who has a reset button on the VMM faceplate? Mine is a 90. All others I've seen have a tiny pin hole but mine has a small 1/16" round button. I just turn the key on till where the warning lights come on, and then hold the button for like 5 seconds and it changes from NOW to OK.

the-big-e
03-16-2007, 10:38 AM
I have both kinds in my SCs.....

I like the reset button, instead of using the paper clip method....

J.D.
03-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Am I the only one who has a reset button on the VMM faceplate? Mine is a 90. All others I've seen have a tiny pin hole but mine has a small 1/16" round button. I just turn the key on till where the warning lights come on, and then hold the button for like 5 seconds and it changes from NOW to OK.

The switch from the paper clip hole to the reset button was in 1992.

DrFishbone
03-16-2007, 04:04 PM
The VMM measures oil temperature and engine revolutions to calculate the recommended oil change interval. If it comes back on in 1000 miles for no good reason, it's probably because your oil level / temperature sensor in the pan is going bad.

(I didn't even know it was a temp sensor until lately.)

Thanks for spreading the knowledge! :D Until now, the oil change light was just something that needed reset when I got tired of the blinking, now it's so much more!

S_Mazza
03-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Hey, you're welcome! I'm glad to share.

I just had a good idea: I hate using the paperclip because I'm worried that I'm gonna push too hard and mutilate the metal contact. I think I can use the little "reset tool" from my old busted Visor PDA on the VMM. I'm gonna try that out ASAP!