Is there a knowledgable SC mechanic close to me

KCfire

Looking to have my 89 SC completely gone thru by a knowledgable SC mechanic. Does anyone know of someone who fits this description that is in or remotely near the Kansas City, MO area? Also...am getting an exhaust smell coming inside the car. Have had the exhaust checked and no leaks were found. But, I am hearing either an exhaust sound or a vacuum leak on the passenger side back by the firewall...basically right behind the throttle body area where the hose from the PCV valve runs back. I have also noticed some black residue on the firewall in that area. Any ideas??? Anyone???

Could be both a vacuum and exhaust leak. Sounds like you may have a malfunctioning EGR valve.

KCfire said:
Looking to have my 89 SC completely gone thru by a knowledgable SC mechanic. Does anyone know of someone who fits this description that is in or remotely near the Kansas City, MO area? Also...am getting an exhaust smell coming inside the car. Have had the exhaust checked and no leaks were found. But, I am hearing either an exhaust sound or a vacuum leak on the passenger side back by the firewall...basically right behind the throttle body area where the hose from the PCV valve runs back. I have also noticed some black residue on the firewall in that area. Any ideas??? Anyone???

If you were a member, you could peruse the "Knowledgable SC Mechanics" by state. But to save you time, there aren't any listed in MO. I'd join the SCCoA anyway, if I were you.

Not sure what's close (within 4 hours) of you without consulting a map, sorry.

My Be EGR VAcuum Amplifier Sample Hose

Don't remember if the 89 SCs has an EGR vacuum amplifier sampling hose that runs between the tube to the EGR vacuum amplifier. My 94 SC has 2 hoses that come off the EGR tube that runs between the exhaust manifold and the EGR valve that connect to the EGR vacuum amplifier (I think that is what it is called). I think the earlier ones had only 1 tube. Just something to check.

Ed Springer

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Accel 36# injectors, Scorpian 1.73 Rockers, ARP Head Studs, 190 l/h fuel pump, 180° Stat, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resonators, 3:73 Gears, 76 C&L MAF (Gold Tube), Magnacore Wires, NGK Iridium Plugs, MSD DIS-4 + Ignition Box, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler, Pro-Torque 2500 TC, Tokico Struts & Shocks, Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants, Optima Yellow Top Battery, American Racing 17” Sniper Wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, COMMANDO Alarm and Remote Starter and Autometer A/F Ratio and Transmission Oil Temperature Guages.

Thanks for the help.

Found a high performance shop here in KC today that has two very knowledgeable SC mechanics. They took a look at my SC and said it was the line running from my exhaust to the EGR. They did a quick test for vacuum leaks and found none. I am now in the process of getting it fixed.
Thanks again to all who answered this post.:)

You DON'T need to be a member to access the "Knowledgeable SC Mechanics" forum. It is part of the general forums open to everyone.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78

By the way... if you found a shop with TWO good SC mechanics, then by all means... ad them to that forum. It will quite likely help someone else with the same question in the future.

Tracy

Back