repeated cam sensor failures

walunsf

i've just replaced the third camshaft sensor since August. i was able to take readings at the DIS module to see that it was the cam sensor cutting out. any idea what is causing this? i checked grounds and wiring - all is good. lucky i'm getting the last two replaced under warranty. i'm thinking it is temp related but the guage doesn't show anything abnormal. on a hot day i might run at 'o' in norm. any way to get the cooling fan to kick on sooner?

Where are you buying the sensors from? Ford? Any evidence of the shaft that is inside the syncronizer assembly wobbling? Any unusual wear marks on the sensors you are replacing?

How are you determining that the sensor is bad in the first place?

i bought a ford part from rock auto.com. i'm sending it back now. the one i returned last week is a borg warner part from a local parts store. the replacement lasted a week. this one died on me yesterday morning. it started up fine in the after noon so i could drive it home. i haven't checked woble but i think i need to check it plus i'm going to check the crimps on the dis and cam sensor.

on the verifing the failure, i had an analog multimeter at the dis watching the voltage. cid signal was lost and then the engine died. no doubt where the problem is...

fake replacing it just for test sake. maybe there is something broken in there. Take a good sensor run it till it quits, then pull it out as if to replace it and put the same sensor back in.

Very possible there is a bad wire somewhere that is being pushed back together when you change sensors. would show good for a while and then bad. When you test probe the wires they are being moved and maybe getting the same effect then.

Worth a shot!

Ray

Did you check the inside of the cam sensor housing when you replaced the stator part (top). I found that the inside of the alum. casing on mine was heavily oxydized and needed cleaning - that might be affecting the signal.

As for the cooling fans it's best to do a search on this Forum, as there are numerous modifications available - from simply bringing the low speed on early to totally re-wiring the fans through relays and separate thermostats.

FWIW, I ran my SC for 3 days with the cam sensor unplugged (basically forgot to plug the damn thing back in after some repairs).

Other than having to turn the key multiple times every time I went to start it, it ran just fine ;)

problem solved!

finally figured out the problem with my SC. got to the point where it wouldn't run at all. so i took it to the local college and started troubleshooting with their fancy equipment. turns out the B+ to the coil is no good. ran a jumper wire to the battery and drove it home. now i get to fix that wire in the wiring harness.

Update!

turns out it was all ignition components not getting the full 12V. looked at the connector the harness plugs into and the power pin was messed up so pulled that pin and reshaped it. car is running fine now!

Back