Harmonic Balancer pin question

89psychobird

I am trying to remove one of the balance pins on my harmonic balancer. I soaked it with PB Blaster and put a pair of Vice-Grips on it, but it won't come out or spin. What is the trick?

BTW - it is still on the motor. Should the outer part, where the pin is, spin without the center of the balancer spinning?

The outer part should not spin. I suspect the pins would be very difficult to remove in the car and I'm not quite sure why you would want to do that anyway. But it does sound like you will need a new dampner on your vehicle.

The pins are pressed in. You won't pull them out, you'll have to remove the balancer and hammer them out. Why would you remove them anyway?

And ya, if the rubber insulating the outer ring isn't pliable (what causes the ring to be able to move at all) then the balancer is shot.

Yeah I would also like to read why you were trying to get the balance pins out and also agree you need a new damper as well no matter what the reason is/was....whatever..:)

Well the good news is......

The good news is in the effort to remove your pins you found the damper problem.

The bad news is that the instructions you got for your March Pulleys was incorrect.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31568

There was a time before I met and got access to some of the Ford people that I now have come to know, that it WAS thought the pins should be removed if putting on an aftermarket pulley. That changed when the REAL reason and function of the pins was discovered/learned.

Those pins are installed after the engine is assembled as well as pins and rivets in the flywheel/flex plate as a means of ENGINE assembly final balancing....not crank balance as some have put out. (Individual rod and piston weights vary due to engineering tolerances. Cranks are balanced when manufactured.) ) The point being if you are then going to install a BHJ if you want to be entirely technically accurate you should be installing weight, perhaps with mallory metal, in the BHJ Damper to "match" the position and weight of any installed OEM Balance Pins in the original Ford Damper. Do you HAVE to do this exercise? No...I have a BHJ in my 92, have had for 3 years and have no issues related to the engine vibration. But since I also have an aftermarket flywheel and solid engine mounts and a whole host of "other" stuff I probably won't notice extra vibration in the first place...:)

Thanks Duffy. I don't know how I missed that FAQ. I have taken your advise in the past and have always had success.

By the way, what is involved in changing the crank seal?

Back