Doing transmission rebuild, need some input...

SK_BlownThunder

I am doing the transmission rebuild on my 1990 SC 5-speed and need to know what all I should consider when doing the overhaul. The main problem is that the synchro going into second gear is completely shot and I am just getting plain tired of double clutching this sucker on the side streets.
Apparently there is no modifications you can do to make the tranny more race worthy without loosing its streetability, so I will probably just be rebuilding it to stock specs and hope it lasts me for as long as I own the car. Being we redid the motor in summer of 2004, I think I should be pretty good once we figure out the ignition problems under acceleration and starting the car.
I was just wondering if there is anything important we should look out for when doing the transmission or if there is anything we can do with it to make it last longer or perform better than the stock setup. I might be looking at doing 3.27s later on and found out that changing the overdrive gear ratio for better highway mileage was not possible on these transmissions.
If there is nothing to know, I guess I will be ordering what I need once we get it out of the car and pulled apart, and go from there.

I'll post some more wheel pics one I get my new version of Solid Edge, which has an FEA program built into it so I can stress test the part right there on the program. Watch for updates on the transmission and I will try and post some thumbnails with my new digital camera as I work through the job for future reference for other SC owners.

Thanks, I will see what comes up. I think we will be ordering most of the parts from Ford being my dad's employee discount might give us a little better break from aftermarket places. I'll keep looking around. Check out the new post of the new wheel I designed on the Non tech forum.

just make sure you use stock type fiber syncro i put brass one in and it grinds from the get go and i shimmed up the endplay to tighten everything up

Back