thermostats

ol'stupidcoupe

I have a '90 S/C I bought used a few years ago. The guy I bought it from advised me that he installed a 160 degree t-stat. He stated he put that one in for 2 reasons; 1 to allow the engine to run cooler causing the engine control unit to richen the fuel mixture & to help guard against blowing the head gaskets. Well, the head gaskets blew since I have owned this car. Anyway, the t-stat is starting to stick so I am going to replace it tomorrow. I have seen posts here stating that some use the 180 degree t-stat. What t-stat is the most popular? As I have always had plenty of heat in the winter, is there any disadvantages to using the 160 t-stat? Are the reasons stated to me for the 160 t-stat valid? any & all info is appreciated.

ol'stupidcoupe said:
I have a '90 S/C I bought used a few years ago. The guy I bought it from advised me that he installed a 160 degree t-stat. He stated he put that one in for 2 reasons; 1 to allow the engine to run cooler causing the engine control unit to richen the fuel mixture & to help guard against blowing the head gaskets. Well, the head gaskets blew since I have owned this car. Anyway, the t-stat is starting to stick so I am going to replace it tomorrow. I have seen posts here stating that some use the 180 degree t-stat. What t-stat is the most popular? As I have always had plenty of heat in the winter, is there any disadvantages to using the 160 t-stat? Are the reasons stated to me for the 160 t-stat valid? any & all info is appreciated.

I put 180's in both of my '89's with no problems. This decision came after reading extensive posts here about which thermostat to use. Apparently, there's an issue with the engine management computer that makes a 180 a good choice, while anthing cooler dosen't do any good. But, like I said, I've had good luck with 180's in both my cars, and it gets pretty hot here in S. TX. I'm going to put the same in my '90 XR7 when it's up and running.

JD

Back