PDA

View Full Version : Help with cooling system

fastfordfan1
01-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Hey all,
My 89 SC is doing something a little odd. Lately, if it gets a little warmer than usual, coolant will belch and burble a little out of the overflow tank and it will also steam out of there. The temperatute gauge never goes above right between the C and the N for normal, but who knows how good the temperature sending unit is after 17 years. The coolant level seems to be correct and I have no indications of other malfunctions. Any ideas??? Obviously also checked for HG problems, but no coolant in the oil at all, car runs great too.
Thanks

zillion_03
01-07-2006, 09:51 PM
i have been exsperiencing the same problems. underlight driving and freeway driving its all good. but as soon as i give it more gas then usuall my overflow tank fills up and my gague starts moving from normal to cold and back. its really bothering me. need some info also.

fastfordfan1
01-07-2006, 10:25 PM
I replaced my radiator cap today and if fixed my problems. No more overflow problems and the tank stayed at one level with no problems. I hope this helps you too. It was a huge relief to me.
Thanks

01-07-2006, 10:36 PM
I replaced my cap and it didnt correct the problem I had...the same one as zillion_03...My cap did need to be replaced though...I am still searching for the problem.

seawalkersee
01-08-2006, 12:31 AM
There is a leak somewhere. Mine is at the intake to head. If you run the he11 out of it, you will crop dust after about a 5sec run at 100mph. Its from the air gettin into the systern.

Chris

zillion_03
01-08-2006, 06:42 PM
i replaced my cap and it did not fix the problem. My hg were replaced 23k ago so im like 90% possitive its not them.got any picts of the intake to head part your talking about? ill give it a look what should i look for? anything that should not look like?

thanks

seawalkersee
01-08-2006, 07:54 PM
No pix. Its the intake manifold to the head. There is a gasket there and its leaking. If you pressurize the system, you will see it.

Chris

rlong
01-09-2006, 03:34 AM
There is a leak somewhere. Mine is at the intake to head. If you run the he11 out of it, you will crop dust after about a 5sec run at 100mph. Its from the air gettin into the systern.

Chris this normal your prob just blowing moisture out of the muffler mine does this and it has no probs

seawalkersee
01-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Nope...It comes from the overflow bottle. There gets to be too much air in the system and when it expands instead of pushing the air out, it pushes coolant out the top of the bottle. If I dont run it hard there is no problem. I will fix it soon enough.

Chris