(Pro Welder info Needed) Kooks long tube header fix question?

"Question to pro welders"

I have Kooks long tube headers the Passengers side is split on both sides of one tube and cracks on both end pipes at head flang its due to runing open headers the vibration they seam thin wall tubes can it we welded or brazed up without burning through them?

Taking it down to this Hillbilly town custom exhaust shop see if they can fix it without killing it :rolleyes:

Well...I have SCCoA (Bill Hull) original SS Jet Hot Coated shorty headers. XR-7 successfult welded a passenger side crack at the tube to flange joint he found. I am not familar with the tube wall thickness used on Kook's Headers nor does you description indicate to me the exact nature of the cracks. But before any attempt is made make sure you know what material the headers are made from and if SS expect potential warpage.

Duffy Floyd said:
Well...I have SCCoA (Bill Hull) original SS Jet Hot Coated shorty headers. XR-7 successfult welded a passenger side crack at the tube to flange joint he found. I am not familar with the tube wall thickness used on Kook's Headers nor does you description indicate to me the exact nature of the cracks. But before any attempt is made make sure you know what material the headers are made from and if SS expect potential warpage.

Thanks for the info!

The cracks are where the tube makes the bend into the collector on both sides of the tube about 4" long the flang cracks are on both end tubes at flange going outward about 3/8" long there steel tubing headers with jet hot coat there not cheap to buy a new set need to repair this one if possable

If it is like a hairline fracture crack then it should be able to be TIG welded fairly well.

Jim,
I would say to look around and find the best tig welder you can and he should have no problem at all welding them up if there willing to take there time and just do a small weld at a time letting it cool each time. I dont think kooks are SS so you should be ok there.

Thanks Guys

"Took it to the shop"

He said he can tig weld it easy there hairline cracks once he gets the HPC coating off can see where to weld it. There working on a Rat Rod 56 Ford talk about wild looking :eek:

Well fire this Silver Bullet up in a matter a few weeks the people next door will love me open headers loude Cogged blower whine :D Nothing better sounding

Back