ARP main studs and oil pump pick up

Hock

For those of you that had the ARP main studs, how did you get the oil pump pick up bolted down?

Their studs right? The one for the oil pickup stud should be a little longer and you double nut it.

That's what I've heard in the past.

Is there anybody else that have used these?

There is no way I am the first to do this, so how about someone through me a freakin bone here!:D

My motor has ARP main studs from the guy before, either one stud was not all the way down, or it was longer than the others, but it was definately double nut'd. Now the second nut was not all the way dwn on the stud, but it was tight enough.

I can call the machine shop to ask the guy for ya, I've been annoying the hades outta my head guy, I guess its time to go see the shortblock guy again, I don't want him to feel left out!

I went down the the machine shop, and the bottom end guy and I looked at the mains. They are all the same size in my block.

I am pretty sure these are ARP studs, as the block was at some point, a CMRE product... That, and I dont know where else they would possible come from.

When I took the block down, there was just enough threads left at the top to get a nut started on there for the oil pickup. The nut definately was not all the way on, but I'd imagine 2-3 threads would be OK.

He is going to figure something out for me, because I am putting a Morana stud girdle/windage tray on mine.

On the factory shortblock, there is a bolt with a small stud protruding for the oil pickup.

Hope this helps...

What you see on yours is what I see on mine.

BUT, I think I may have found a way to make it all work. What I'm gonna try out is stacking another washer or so on the stud then put the oil pump pick up one and torquing the nut down on top of that. I figure 2 thin washers should do it.

I just don't trust a nut on there with only a few threads to hold it in place.

Thanks for getting back with me on it though, hopefully my idea will help you out too.

Don't know, I guess the second nut could be a thinner nut???

My machinist is handling this little issue... He had to recess the stud girde holes for the nuts, and said set the pickup in place also...

I have no idea, they still ahve the damn thing...

This is the slowest machine shop in the country.

But I did tell them to take their time with the shortblock.

What I did was get some hardened washers and put them in place below the nut till I got it spaced enough for the oil pump pickup to clear the main cap. It worked fine and there was still enough thread left to get the proper torque on the main.

Now I just hope it stays.:D

I used two arp washers on top of the main, then the bracket, then 1 stainless washer between bracket and arp nut.

Torqued nut down, have half a stud thread showing. Hope this is enough.

After installing the nut the secures the oil pick up tube, be sure check your oil pan for clearance. Most will require a little clearance grinding on either the nut the pan or both.

David

David Neibert said:
After installing the nut the secures the oil pick up tube, be sure check your oil pan for clearance. Most will require a little clearance grinding on either the nut the pan or both.

David

I second that! Had to grind to #1 main studs on mine, took them down to the nut.:eek:

sizemoremk said:
Don't know, I guess the second nut could be a thinner nut???

My machinist is handling this little issue... He had to recess the stud girde holes for the nuts, and said set the pickup in place also...

Didn't your girdle come recessed? I just got one from Tom this week and it is recessed. Anodized too. Come to think of it, when I spoke to him, he said he had made some improvements on it, maybe that was it?

I got an older one from a guy ont he boards, this was was surely not anodized... I think it was slightly recessed, but not enough for the ARP hardware???

The machinsit has really ahd my bottom end stuff forever, and I realy don't remmeber what it looks like:eek:

pablon2 said:
Didn't your girdle come recessed? I just got one from Tom this week and it is recessed. Anodized too. Come to think of it, when I spoke to him, he said he had made some improvements on it, maybe that was it?

Back