I found a local gasket manufacturer for any obsolete rubbers

metalman

I posted a couple weeks ago that my brake unit was leaking so I called Prior about selling me gaskets. They they legally can't sell parts like that based on their insurance. But, he told me what material I need and that any gasket manufacturer can make them.
So I googled around and found F.H. Gaskins on Church St. in Norfolk. They make safety valves, blow off valves, and others for boilers, industrial equipment, etc., and they also make any kind of gasket/seal from about 10 different types of rubbers depending on what you need it for. I gave them the pump motor and housing it bolts to an the old gasket and they are going to hand cut two gaskets for me made from EPDM, which is brake fluid resistant, for $4 a piece. I was shocked on how incredibly cheap that sounds. They'll have it for me on Monday so if it does the trick I'll let you know and keep them in mind for the increasing number of obsolete parts the for is axing.

Here's there website:
http://www.safetyvalve.com/

Later,
Metalman

I just got the gaskets back today. They ended up being $8 a gasket which is still a great price for a one-off hand cut product. He made them a smidge thicker and wider to fit the entire seating plate that is inside the motor, not just a portion of it like the original gakets lays. He also made them out of the same stock material-EPDM.

They work!

I put the gasket on, slapped her together and no leaks! I bought two gaskets from them, for future issues. They were $8 a piece. Not 4 like I said earlier, but that is still a steal IMO.

But of course, it all didn't go together easy and in the first shot. After I put my brake unit in, topped off the fluid and turned the key, I was anxiously watch the reservior fluid level to drop...and it didn't. I heard the motor turning but the fluid didn't move. So I pulled the hose to what the fluid drain, I to the unit out again and took her apart and just plug in the motor to make sure it was spinning free, I took off the pressure switch. All was well. So I unscrewed the accumulator reinstalled the brake unit and turned the key, waiting for fluid to geyser up out of the hole where the accumulator goes and nothing, just a couple air bubbles sputtering up. So i found my problem. I poked, prodded and clean the hole with a really thin screw driver and cloth. I turned the key once more and brake fluid was spewing out like Ol' Faithful. It was the best thing I every saw! I screwd the acc. back in and ROCK AND ROLL. I guess the little valve in there was either cocked or clogged up and I freed it and it reseated. The miracle was that I didn't even have to bleed my brakes! So it looks like I'm back it business...except for a rough ldle but at least I can drive my car now!

Later,
Anthony

Back