Pictures of line lock install

racecougar

Questions about installing line locks on these cars have come up before, so I figured it would be a good excuse to post up a couple pics of today's work. :) The pics are of the driverside, and the passenger side looks just the same.

-Rod

Attachments

• line lock 1.JPG
    line lock 1.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,268
  • line lock 2.JPG
    line lock 2.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 790
Remote oil filter?

Thanks for reminding me.. gotta order a couple of those. Where did you get you'res from?

Yep, there's a remote oil filter under there.

I used B&M line locks, which I bought from Summit. I used a 12" length of 3/16" brake line for the line between the line lock and the caliper hose. You'll also need two 1/8" NPT to brake flare fittings per line lock to attach the brake lines to the line locks.

-Rod

Attachments

• 01070007.JPG
    01070007.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 283
Rod,

As usual...you did a very nice job. Does installing line locks with ABS require additional work or is it done pretty much the same ?

David

Switch

Rod,
I would like to know, how you went about wiring up the locs, and were and how did you mount your switch.

From what Ive read on Jegs, is that each loc requires a switch, is there a way to convert both line locs into one switch?

Mike

I don't see why you couldn't? I think you are mistaken. Some cars can run one line lock for the front, but on our cars you must use a seperate lock for each wheel. Then you could just run your power wires to a relay, and have the relay powered by a switch mounted anywhere, dash/console/shifter. If you get a shifter with the momentary switch on it, I'd use that.

David Neibert said:
Rod,

As usual...you did a very nice job. Does installing line locks with ABS require additional work or is it done pretty much the same ?

David

Thanks, David. As far as I know, installing line locks on a car equipped with ABS would be the same. The only thing I can think of that may be a problem is that the ABS unit may "freak out" when the rear tires are spinning while the front brakes are locked. But if that were the case, it would also "freak out" during powerbraking without the line locks. So....it should be the same.

By the way, the brake setup I'm running on this car is a non-ABS setup, mostly from a 97 4.6L MN12.

littleboylan said:
Rod,
I would like to know, how you went about wiring up the locs, and were and how did you mount your switch.

From what Ive read on Jegs, is that each loc requires a switch, is there a way to convert both line locs into one switch?

Mike

Scott Long said:
I don't see why you couldn't? I think you are mistaken. Some cars can run one line lock for the front, but on our cars you must use a seperate lock for each wheel. Then you could just run your power wires to a relay, and have the relay powered by a switch mounted anywhere, dash/console/shifter. If you get a shifter with the momentary switch on it, I'd use that.

Exactly. I have both line locks running to a relay, which is controlled with a single switch in the cabin.

Also, as Scott mentioned, our cars do require one line lock per wheel.

See the pics below. The first pic shows the 30 amp relay, which has two outputs. The second shows the location of my switch. :)

-Rod

Attachments

• relay.JPG
    relay.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 288
  • overhead console.JPG
    overhead console.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 253
The 1989 through 1993 ABS won't care though it could throw a ABS light and log a trouble code. (more likely 1993 than the older ones). The Traction Control cars won't like it but typically you throw a track loc into the rear and disconnect the traction control system anyway.

Newer cars with stability control systems will likely freak out and basically just deactivate their systems thinking that something is going wrong.

Our cars are okay. The install is downstream of the switches. Therefore the car does not know the front tires are locked. There is no input from the boo switch and the pressure is being held past the master cyl.

Chris

Scott Long said:
Looks good Rod. I'll be doing this someday this summer. How much did the pair of locks cost you?

Thanks. I honestly can't remember what I paid for the pair of solenoids. I bought them from Summit quite a few months ago.

-Rod

I searched summit and found them. They are $49.95 each or $64.99 with wiring and a switch. I'd be more than capable of wiring them up myself to a relay and a switch.

Mike8675309 said:
The 1989 through 1993 ABS won't care though it could throw a ABS light and log a trouble code. (more likely 1993 than the older ones). The Traction Control cars won't like it but typically you throw a track loc into the rear and disconnect the traction control system anyway.

Newer cars with stability control systems will likely freak out and basically just deactivate their systems thinking that something is going wrong.
Is there something special that needs to be done to the installation in a '95 with a 5 speed??

Ira

irar said:
Is there something special that needs to be done to the installation in a '95 with a 5 speed??

Ira

Nope, not that I'm aware of. 5speeds don't have traction control, and even if you did have traction control it's nothing special. You turn that off at the track anyways.

I took the car off the jackstands today to turn it around (need to work on the rear end next), and the line locks work perfectly. :D

-Rod

Back