Kevin's 11.3x second Drag Race Videos

Magnum Powers said:
Hi All,
I just uploaded a bunch of videos of Kevin making several 11.3 second passes racing Lightnings, Vets, etc. They are a lot of fun to watch. Some of the videos are quite large but well worth the time to download. You can find them at: http://www.magnumpowers.com/tbrd_quick.html

Enjoy,
Charles

Nice Videos Charles!

Just watched the 11.31et video car leaves the line hard nice driving job Kevin nice runs "All MP boost" what can you say but awesome job Kevin & Charles (Coy is going down) time for a new man at the top cant waite to see it go quicker and faster without Nitrous Kevin is doing it the way it should be done "All motor and MP Boost"

Last edited:
Kevin pointed out to me how the nose lifts right off the line then dips down before picking it up again. When the nose drops is when the slicks are spinning and where he is loosing a lot of 60 ft time. Kevin thinks perhaps some changes in suspension i.e., different shock settings can control weight transfer and keep it hooked up.

I find it amazing what Kevin has been able to do as 10 second all boost T-Bird SC runs are just around the corner. :cool:

Cheers,
Charles

He may need to run more tire pressure. If the tires slam the ground too hard they will hook initially, but then the tires will unload 10 or so feet out. I think a radial slick would work the best as it does in any drag type car.

CMac89 said:
He may need to run more tire pressure. If the tires slam the ground too hard they will hook initially, but then the tires will unload 10 or so feet out. I think a radial slick would work the best as it does in any drag type car.
I only have traction issues at that track. I wish my hometown track was still open so i could of ran on a well prepped track. But once i get back to my usual track i don't think traction will be a issue.

Good videos and good times. Butler PA, I have no idea where that is, but what track do you go to?

Very sweet indeed. Two things intreague me and hopefully u can tell a bit more about it.

1- tensioner helper springs?
2- the front wheels in the car...are those stock aluminum spares or are they real race skinnies?

This car (for those of you who havent seen it) is really fun to watch in person. It was amazing the way it ran in OKC. There were others there that were amazing as well but I have to give props to this car for one reason...No one believes its not a N2O car. I wont mention names but the BS games were starting to come out and guys were crawlin over it lookin for the lines to the intake.

Good Job Kevin. I look forward to seein it run again this year.

Chris

CaifanSC said:
Very sweet indeed. Two things intreague me and hopefully u can tell a bit more about it.

1- tensioner helper springs?
2- the front wheels in the car...are those stock aluminum spares or are they real race skinnies?
1. I rigged up a set of springs on the tensioners to give more belt tension, Helped tremendously. I will try to get some pics
2. Yes they are stock aluminum spares, Which i sanded totally smooth and polished. They are for sale if anybody is interested!

Attachments

• SUNP0005 (2).JPG
    SUNP0005 (2).JPG
    246.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
seawalkersee said:
This car (for those of you who havent seen it) is really fun to watch in person. It was amazing the way it ran in OKC. There were others there that were amazing as well but I have to give props to this car for one reason...No one believes its not a N2O car. I wont mention names but the BS games were starting to come out and guys were crawlin over it lookin for the lines to the intake.

Good Job Kevin. I look forward to seein it run again this year.

Chris
Thats funny, I wasn't aware of people thinking it had nitrous. when i do put the go go juice to her, there will be no hiding it! Once i get the moter in the 10's it will definately see the nitrous and then try for the single digits

CMac89 said:

from the pic of that launch and looking how much the tires are wrinkled... its definetely hitting the tires really hard. Whether or not its the tires themselves unloading....who knows without actually being there to watch the car make a pass. I'd definetely try a stiff sidewall slick or go to a M/T radial though (stiff sidewall, 3 compounds softer then slicks :))

what shocks do you have in the rear?

Blown 91 Bird said:
from the pic of that launch and looking how much the tires are wrinkled... its definetely hitting the tires really hard. Whether or not its the tires themselves unloading....who knows without actually being there to watch the car make a pass. I'd definetely try a stiff sidewall slick or go to a M/T radial though (stiff sidewall, 3 compounds softer then slicks :))

what shocks do you have in the rear?

With the tranbrake it is like having a clutch car. and the drag radials do not fair well with that kind of shock. i did have drag radials and was very impressed with them. But after transbrake i needed the wrinkle walls. Like i said the track was crappy. It was the end of year and it was just test and tune. They didn't spray the track at all. as for the shocks, I have Koni adjustables on the back.

Kevin Leitem said:
With the tranbrake it is like having a clutch car. and the drag radials do not fair well with that kind of shock. i did have drag radials and was very impressed with them. But after transbrake i needed the wrinkle walls. Like i said the track was crappy. It was the end of year and it was just test and tune. They didn't spray the track at all. as for the shocks, I have Koni adjustables on the back.

Which radials were you using? and what size? A 275/60 M/T radial will take whatever kind of hit you can put to them (CA Radial guys are going 8.70's and standin on the bumper on these), and a 325/50 is just insane. My company racecar we did alot of testing with the M/T drag radials and went a best of 1.25 60' on 325/50's with stock suspension/3400lbs..leaving off the brake at 6400-6500.

Anything can hook on a slick...but it takes patience to hook on a radial :)

Kevin Leitem said:
Drag radials and the M/T slick radials are two different tires. The slick radial is a non treaded full fledged slick with a stiffer sidewall that eliminates the very common tire fold (wrinkles during launch in the tire.)

The each wrinkle in the tire is a sacrifice for ET. The M/T radial slicks eliminate the wrinkle and many chances for the tire to actuall become unloaded. This has every bit to do with the amount of traction each car receives. If the suspension has too much travel and not enough resistance in the shock then it will allow the bias ply slicks to hook initially, but then unload a significant distance outward. The way to solve this is by an adjustable shock to see how much resistance is needed from keeping the tire from spinning.

The radial slicks and/or beadlocks get rid of a good chunk of this problem and is what you more than likely need to go with if you don't want to change the shock setup. On our 700+ hp SuperStockers we went from consistent 1.31 60fts. to 1.27's, 1200hp Comp motor from 1.09 to 1.06 60fts, and i've seen stockers getting around a tenth or more going to the radial slicks due to the reduced amount of suspension mods they are allowed for.

See all these wrinkles on my superstocker? Not good..........

Attachments

• 0335-0964.jpg
    0335-0964.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 63
  • 0336-0215.jpg
    0336-0215.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
CMac89 said:
The slick radial is a non treaded full fledged slick

i disagree. A standard M/T slick is a biasply tire.. a M/T Drag Radial is just that.. a radial tire. Thus, its not a "full fledged slick".. even though it does work better than one :D

:p

only a little wrinkle from the radials ;)
DRWinHopkins-01.jpg

Last edited:
CMac89 said:
Drag radials and the M/T slick radials are two different tires. The slick radial is a non treaded full fledged slick with a stiffer sidewall that eliminates the very common tire fold (wrinkles during launch in the tire.)

The each wrinkle in the tire is a sacrifice for ET. The M/T radial slicks eliminate the wrinkle and many chances for the tire to actuall become unloaded. This has every bit to do with the amount of traction each car receives. If the suspension has too much travel and not enough resistance in the shock then it will allow the bias ply slicks to hook initially, but then unload a significant distance outward. The way to solve this is by an adjustable shock to see how much resistance is needed from keeping the tire from spinning.

The radial slicks and/or beadlocks get rid of a good chunk of this problem and is what you more than likely need to go with if you don't want to change the shock setup. On our 700+ hp SuperStockers we went from consistent 1.31 60fts. to 1.27's, 1200hp Comp motor from 1.09 to 1.06 60fts, and i've seen stockers getting around a tenth or more going to the radial slicks due to the reduced amount of suspension mods they are allowed for.

See all these wrinkles on my superstocker? Not good..........

Of the hundreds of passes i have made at my hometown track PRP i have NEVER spun. I am not going to change my setup for use at a track that sucks!. But yes i have been very interested in trying the radial slicks. I know that the distortion is slowing the car. but i do like the give in the wrinkle wall tires. easier on the halfshafts.

Blown 91 Bird said:
i disagree. A standard M/T slick is a biasply tire.. a M/T Drag Radial is just that.. a radial tire. Thus, its not a "full fledged slick".. even though it does work better than one :D
I disagree. The drag radials have a stiffer sidewall then the slick radials do. THe ET Streets are bias ply tires, but not a slick because of the tread. Slick radials are slicks because of the complete lack of tread.

No wrinkle here. This is the Slick radials on my new SS car. The TA has moved to full fledged Comp car.

http://www.rockinghamdragway.com/co...inals/gallery/saturday/sportsman/dsc_6608.htm

Back