Broken Sc

ndoftyme69

well I think I killed my SC yesterday, car has been running good up until yesterday morning, other than tranny slipping and oil leak at the valve cover. I was driving to take my Fiance to work when out of nowhere the car stalled,it took a minute or two to get it started back up again.Then as I was driving it started rattling and smoking under the hood,I got her to her job when it stalled again.So I coasted into a parking spot and popped the hood.smoke everywhere <it was comin out the vents when it stalled> so i'm thinkin' oil, so i pop the oil fill cap off and it's smokin out of there,look at the dipstick pull it and its smokin out of there. I then started the car back up to see if I could see a oil leak or something,but nothing just smoking again.I noticed it was smoking out the tailpipes so I walked to the back of the car put my hand on the end of the tailpipe and get a nice tailpipe outline of oil on my hand. I checked the oil and it was low so I filled it up and drove it home cuz i don't have AAA and I figured I'd check it out more when I got home,but my cranky baby daughter had a different idea,so I wasn't able to look at the car.my fiance called me later on that day cuz she couldn't get a ride home so I pushed the limits a lil too much and tried to drive the SC there. well it was goin good until like 4-5 min. into the drive, it started rattling ,losing power, smoking. I end up making it to her job <only like 3-4 miles from my house>let it rest for about 35 min. checked the oil , it was good, coolant level-good, so I tried to make it home one more time,Didn't happen the car now sit in a bank parking lot until I get it towed to my fathers house to rip the engine and tranny out of it and swap in the engine and tranny out of my 90 SC. I'm thinking my spark plugs are fouled out, or the new heads I got about a month and half ago dropped the valve guide seals,or the rings are shot. not sure? what do you guys think?

Not sure what would make you think that fouled spark plugs would make oil come out your exhaust....

What you have there is something definitely more serious than that--oil coming out your exhaust makes me think of piston rings right off the bat. if your piston rings let go, and you keep trying to drive it, you can quite easily tear up the cylinder walls into oblivion. You said your coolant was fine, so that rules out head gaskets I do believe. Did you just check the level in the spilloff or did you actually look at the coolant?

you had a serious amount of blow-by--actually, the more I think about it, the more I think of your valve guides. You are actually better off that way too--rebuilt heads are not as bad as having a trashed block, or needing to get it bored out. that is why your oil went out the exhaust--and your plugs are now covered in oil, am I right? Check your heads.

Dropped the Valve Guide Seals?

ndoftyme69 said:
I'm thinking...........the new heads I got about a month and half ago dropped the valve guide seals
Were those teflon valve seals or umbrellas?
Either way, I doubt that they "dropped" through the head.

68COUGAR

well I would definetley star at the heads. valve covers are fairly easy. check for broken valve springs or ones you can move. Check the valve tips as well to see if any have had the snot beat out of them. We run many of our dirt track motors with no valve seals at all and they don't smoke but on startup. I would have to say a valve spring maybe broke let the valve hit, bending it which then ate the valve guide and seal.

If it's a lower end thing than like it was already mentioned a broken ring, crushed ring land, collapsed piston, broken piston skirt.

Not real optimistic man sorry, on the thin side maybe the intake was loose and it sucked the gasket:)

Getting that kind of blowby in the crank case is going to allow the PCV to foul all plugs. so that kinda kills identifying any one cylinder like that.

Best of luck man!

Is it possible you may have burned a hole in a piston? That or the previously mentioned rings. I would try a compression test first and see what you find. Seems like an awefull lot of oil is getting into at least one of the cylinders. Whatever the case... sorry to hear about the breakdown. Hope the diagnosis/repairs go well and that it ain't too serious/expensive.

Tracy

skydivr7673 said:
Not sure what would make you think that fouled spark plugs would make oil come out your exhaust....

I was saying that my spark plugs fouled out because of the oil in the cylinders or atleast that what i meant when i typed it.

RBH Racing said:
well I would definetley star at the heads. valve covers are fairly easy. check for broken valve springs or ones you can move. Check the valve tips as well to see if any have had the snot beat out of them. We run many of our dirt track motors with no valve seals at all and they don't smoke but on startup. I would have to say a valve spring maybe broke let the valve hit, bending it which then ate the valve guide and seal.

If it's a lower end thing than like it was already mentioned a broken ring, crushed ring land, collapsed piston, broken piston skirt.

Not real optimistic man sorry, on the thin side maybe the intake was loose and it sucked the gasket:)

Getting that kind of blowby in the crank case is going to allow the PCV to foul all plugs. so that kinda kills identifying any one cylinder like that.

Best of luck man!
I will definently check the heads out, i'm swappping the engine out of my 90 SC into it hopefully this weekend , after that this engine is getting ripped apart and rebuilt.

XR7inWI said:
Is it possible you may have burned a hole in a piston? That or the previously mentioned rings. I would try a compression test first and see what you find. Seems like an awefull lot of oil is getting into at least one of the cylinders. Whatever the case... sorry to hear about the breakdown. Hope the diagnosis/repairs go well and that it ain't too serious/expensive.

Tracy
that might be possible,if it had anything to with spark plugs , i was running autolite 2544 double platinums I believe. have to double check that part number.the rings could be possible too. I"ll let everybody know this weekend what it coulda been after I do the engine swap. have ta take a few pics of the broken or busted pieces too. until then I am left with a reliable bike from wal-mart.No red light racing on this 18 speed. lol

ndoftyme69 said:
... until then I am left with a reliable bike from wal-mart.No red light racing on this 18 speed. lol
LOL... just have to pick yer competition wisely. Stick wit da Honda Civics and you should still be winnin' :D

Tracy

dont worry bout the chain u should beat the fart can. just wanted to add my two cents. it almost sounds to me like u popped the head gasket. even though u checked the coolant level it doesnt mean ur not burning it. ive done several head gaskets at the shop that sounded just like ur problem. ran fine for a while then started running poorly and smoking. when u replaced the heads did u also replace the head bolts(they r torque to yealed). did u torque them in the proper sequence? also when u touched ur tailpipe the ring u talk about was it a carbon ring, not an oil ring? also, if uve never swaped s/c motors before beware it is very difficult. im in the process right now for my buddys 89/5spd and i wish i would never have offered. the previous owner locked the motor up tighter than a drum. im putting in a regular 3.8 and i'll have updates on if it was a good idea or not. the motor was free.

bigjim44256 said:
dont worry bout the chain u should beat the fart can. just wanted to add my two cents. it almost sounds to me like u popped the head gasket. even though u checked the coolant level it doesnt mean ur not burning it. ive done several head gaskets at the shop that sounded just like ur problem. ran fine for a while then started running poorly and smoking. when u replaced the heads did u also replace the head bolts(they r torque to yealed). did u torque them in the proper sequence? also when u touched ur tailpipe the ring u talk about was it a carbon ring, not an oil ring? also, if uve never swaped s/c motors before beware it is very difficult. im in the process right now for my buddys 89/5spd and i wish i would never have offered. the previous owner locked the motor up tighter than a drum. im putting in a regular 3.8 and i'll have updates on if it was a good idea or not. the motor was free.

yes to the new head bolts and yes in the seq,I bought fel-pro head bolts I believe and double checked haynes manual for proper torque specs and procedure,never swapped an SC engine yet, alot of 5.0's tho.but I also have no choice I have to ride a bike like 5-7 miles at 4 in the morning to catch a ride to work and then don't get back to ride home til at least 6 so i won't get home til atleast 7,and can't afford to miss work I have a 9month old daughter.So the engine swap is gonna happen if I don't get any sleep the whole weekend.I plan on pulling the engine and tranny together cuz my tranny was goin out.

well good luck on the motor swap. i think it will take more than the weekend. i suggest pulling all of the accessories off first and go from there. but out of curiosity what is wrong with the red 90? why dont u drive it? let me know how you fare.

ok that decision lasted long. NEW plan-going to take all my good parts from my white sc that I broke and put them on my red SC I bought like 3 weeks ago. Tockico illumina 2 shocks,gas tank,fuel pump,IAC,foglights,rims, and tires.because I was starting to doubt myself on the weekend swap and I don't know if I commit my whole weekend to it.So it's restore the Red SC Weekend. guess i'm goin' with the easy way out.

Pics of my red SC.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71317&highlight=gettin
bottom of the 1st page

Sounds to ME like you are not only goin with the "easy way out" but the wisest, quickest, easiest, etc, etc, etc.... way out. You can always yank the motor out of the red one later on for a rebuild. Or rebuild the bad one in the mean time and get IT ready to drop in the Red SC.

Hope it goes well for ya.

Tracy

XR7inWI said:
Sounds to ME like you are not only goin with the "easy way out" but the wisest, quickest, easiest, etc, etc, etc.... way out. You can always yank the motor out of the red one later on for a rebuild. Or rebuild the bad one in the mean time and get IT ready to drop in the Red SC.

Hope it goes well for ya.

Tracy

A wise man once said- THIS IS TRUE!

yes i agree this sounds like a much better idea than the engine swap. if u get around to it pull the plugs out of the white s/c motor and see if any of the tips are green. curious to see if it was burning coolant.

Back