mustang v6 shorty's.....any good?

22lbsofboost

ive seen 2 or 3 different types, but ive located a set that are true 3 into 1 with a 2.5" collector off a 6 banger mustang. after looking at the stock manifolds, im thinking these headers HAVE to be better than my stock manifolds. will these fit my engine bay? im making new downtubes so they dont have to fit the stock stuff as far as thats concerned. im also doing away with the EGR so thats not a worry either. i just want to know if they will physically fit in there without rubbing anywhere, it looks like one of the collecotrs is kicked out a little more than the other so i wanted to ask before i bought:)

22lbsofboost said:
ive seen 2 or 3 different types, but ive located a set that are true 3 into 1 with a 2.5" collector off a 6 banger mustang. after looking at the stock manifolds, im thinking these headers HAVE to be better than my stock manifolds. will these fit my engine bay? im making new downtubes so they dont have to fit the stock stuff as far as thats concerned. im also doing away with the EGR so thats not a worry either. i just want to know if they will physically fit in there without rubbing anywhere, it looks like one of the collecotrs is kicked out a little more than the other so i wanted to ask before i bought:)
The problem will be your driver side, the steering shaft will be in the way :( super coupe performance has headers in mid & full length with 1 3/4" primery to a 2 1/2" or 3" collector. PReDiTR91

I have a set of 94-98 mustang headers on my car, I would imagine the Kooks from SCP are better but to expensive for me. Come on $600 for headers?? Those are worth $250 tops. I payed 20 bucks for mine and modified them myself it wasn't that hard. Dave D says ported SC maniflods are better but I just can't see them flowing better than the mustang. I've held both and the mustang header is huge.

Jake said:
I have a set of 94-98 mustang headers on my car, I would imagine the Kooks from SCP are better but to expensive for me. Come on $600 for headers?? Those are worth $250 tops. I payed 20 bucks for mine and modified them myself it wasn't that hard. Dave D says ported SC maniflods are better but I just can't see them flowing better than the mustang. I've held both and the mustang header is huge.

I could not agree more 600 is rediculous!

I took the compare pics of the two in the thread I just referenced, and they are quite a bit bigger. I cannot imagine they don't add a few horses on the top end!

Wynn charged me something like 75-80 to mod mine, including shipping back... I was gonna do it myself, but I don't really have welding "skills" and he already had a jig setup to hold the correct position.

Jake said:

thank you sir. they are too much damn money. i mean i see folks on here with cracked tubes and ~~~~ on kooks, im sure that the factory ones are at least better than the manifolds our cars came from the factory with. port all you want on the stock manifolds, the dimples on the inside of the manifolds where they bolt to the head its pinched there bad. also the collector is tiny. i thought they looked pretty beefy until i got them off.

on that note i really need to take some pics for you guys. the valve covers look like theyve been leaking since new, putting a thick, nasty coat of oil on everything. i guess at least i didnt have any rust lol.

motor is out of the car, trans has been out for a couple days. waiting for money. hopefully lots of it 'cause thats what i need:eek:

so the 94-98 stangV6 stock header/manifolds are considered the best out of the mustang ones that will fit with a lil work, right :confused:

so which year ones for the aftermarket and what brand are now considered the best ?

Ran 12.13 @ 113mph 1/2 throttling it in 3rd and 4th running ported stock manifolds. Twisted off the driveshaft on second pass. I'd say ported manifolds are good enough for most SC's. :eek:

Dave,

Got any supplemental info on that car? I.E., what other mods were in effect, how much boost did it make, etc. What was the rest of the exhaust like?

S_Mazza said:
Dave,

Got any supplemental info on that car? I.E., what other mods were in effect, how much boost did it make, etc. What was the rest of the exhaust like?

The exhaust system is 2.25" in to 3" back to 2.25" with resonator and 2 mufflers. It makes about 19psi.

I've got 98 Mustang JBA shortys on mine and I redrilled the upper motor mounts 7/16" to shift the motor over towards the passenger side. With the motor shifted I only needed to die grind the collector flange (just ground off excess material) a tiny bit and they fit great with 1/4" or so clearance to the steering shaft. This seemed a lot easier to me than redoing the collector or beating the crap out of it to get it to fit. Just another idea that worked for me.

Sean

I use the 98 mustang headers and am very pleased. Sorry if I offend anyone but, Rather than spend a gross amount of time porting the stock manifolds and buying port plates, I bought headers off ebay for $50 and had them modified for another $50. Plus they make your ride sound cooler.

Tickler said:
I use the 98 mustang headers and am very pleased. Sorry if I offend anyone but, Rather than spend a gross amount of time porting the stock manifolds and buying port plates, I bought headers off ebay for $50 and had them modified for another $50. Plus they make your ride sound cooler.

Everyone is welcome to do as they wish. However it is worthwhile to point out that porting stock manifolds is easy enough and takes about an hour, maybe 2 if you want to be picky. Add to that there is no performance gain from any headers so why bother? :p

XR7 Dave said:
Ran 12.13 @ 113mph 1/2 throttling it in 3rd and 4th running ported stock manifolds. Twisted off the driveshaft on second pass. I'd say ported manifolds are good enough for most SC's. :eek:

Well, I guess I'm sold. :cool:

Everyone is welcome to do as they wish. However it is worthwhile to point out that porting stock manifolds is easy enough and takes about an hour, maybe 2 if you want to be picky. Add to that there is no performance gain from any headers so why bother? :p

Revive an old thread.

Dave, Porting in the area where the bolt bumps are. How much did you take off?

And congrats on Charles heads they look nice.

Back