gear drive

ironworker

does anyone now if they make a gear drive for the 3.8 sc motor ...

if they do wear can i get one at

im getting ready to bulid a 4.2 stroker motor

i like the way the gear drive sounds

if they dont make one for the 3.8 can u use a 5.slow gear drive

I don't think you will find one that fits. Even if you do, it is a pretty common train of thought that the vibration of a gear drive (especially the noisy ones that I think you are refering to) will cause a problem with the knock sensor on our motors. I don't know for sure if this is truely the case as I don't recall hearing of anyone actually trying it on these engines but I did send an email to one manufacturer asking about this.

I can't recall which manufacturer it was off hand, but the response I got from them agreed with what I have heard from others. They said it likely WOULD cause a problem with the knock sensor because the vibrations may be picked up and interpretted as knocking/pre-ignition/detonation (whichever) and cause the computer to pul timing.

This manufacturer did not sound at all possitive about it but did say it was a VERY distinct possibility of it happening. I guess the only way to really know would be to try it IF you could get a set that would fit. Personally, I am not sure of the reason why someone would want a "noisy" gear drive on a supercharged engine. The noisy gear drives are thought to mimic the sound of a blower and we already have one of those. You COULD just do as many others have and make every effort at making your blower whine louder.

1) remove air intake silencer and install CAI (I have heard that the metal tube ones make things a bit louder than plastic tubes :confused: )
2) Remove insulation blanket from underside of hood (I did it and it made a VERY noticable difference)
3) Remove rubber weatherstrip at rear of engine bay on the "wiper cowling" (I have also done this and contrary to what I have read here it has created no noticable difference in engine temps... it has been suggested that removing it disturbs how air flows through the radiator and the reast of the engine bay but I have had no ill effects.. just lets out a bit more blower whine)
4) If you have the necessary tools/equipment/skill or are willing to send out your blower you can plug/fill-in the "silencer ports" in the outlet (top) of the blower.

Doing these things will give you plenty of REAL blower whine instead of the wannabe whine provided by a gear drive set. I haven't gotten to sealing off my silencer ports yet but I already have loud enough whine to get peoples attention. Can't wait till I get a chance to close them up and really let 'er scream. :D

So, hopefully I answered your question... sorry about the novel:( :p

Tracy

Back