Car died, dh deployed I need help please!

froglove

Hey all I know its been awhile since ive been on here. But I need your help.

My husband JUST left for a 6 month deployment and my car died on me last night. I was leaving a drive thru and it just died and saw some smoke come out from under the hood. It wont start at all.

Heres the weird thing, the inside lights would come on and I could charge my cell phone BUT the radio wouldnt work, or my power windows and locks. Also my alarm was barly chirping like the battery was dying.

I even tried to jump start it but it didnt work at all.

There is a blown fuse under the hood, it is the 60 amp one back by the relays, the number for it I believe is #9. Any Idea what it is?/ I cant find my owners manuel.

PLEASE help me out, That is my only transportation and I have to have it up and running because my 3 week old son has doctor appt to keep.

froglove said:
...I was leaving a drive thru and it just died and saw some smoke come out from under the hood. It wont start at all.
.........There is a blown fuse under the hood, it is the 60 amp one back by the relays, the number for it I believe is #9..

It sounds electrical to me. Maybe a shorted out wire?
Have you tried to change the 60A fuse?
Mine is a '90 and there is no "#9 fuse", they are lettered, so assuming the 9th fuse is "L", it is my hazzard fuse.
Is your battery and terminals look like they are in good shape?

Assuming you don't have a voltmeter, if you turn on the headlights, are they bright or dim? If they are dim, the battery is drained which could be anything from a bad ground, to bad battery, or even a bad alternator.

Any fellow members in San Diego close enough to go look at it for her?

Thanks so much for the reply. I feel so helpless right now. The fuse is 9FL which is the ignition switch fuse for me. Other than that I have no clue. The lights werent dim at all that I noticed. I am replacing the fuse in it today.

Go ahead and replace the fuse, and if it blows again you have a short somewhere. Hopefully it was just the one fuse and nothing else. Keep us posted. Also, what does your hubby do in the USN? I was Navy too, but I got out in 96. Good luck

LMAO!!! I replaced the fuse and for now the car works. But what caused the fuse to blow?? I have no clue at least its working for now. Thanks guys!!

if it is just that one fuse, then no worries. If it happens again soon, then you need to chase down the problem. Every now and then a fuse just blows--could have just been a power surge. That is what they are there for. If it happens again soon, let us know.

Check the battery cables and make sure everything is tight. It's possible a wire is rubbing on something and shorted out that one time.

Keep your eye out for any signs of further issues under the hood.

Back