Speedometer not working

ShawnSC1

I also noticed my tach wasn't working. I did some research and came across, that I may have a bad cam sensor. Would this also cause a problem on the speedometer.

When my cam sensor went the speedo worked fine,the speedo in my wife's na bird stoped working 2 weeks ago while I was driving it to get parts for the sc:rolleyes: anyway I just hit the dash and has worked fine since,I'm sure it still needs to be fixed right,but who has time when you have an sc.but yes the tack will stop working with a bad cam sensor I also got a check e light.is the car starting o.k?

flying bird said:
When my cam sensor went the speedo worked fine,the speedo in my wife's na bird stoped working 2 weeks ago while I was driving it to get parts for the sc:rolleyes: anyway I just hit the dash and has worked fine since,I'm sure it still needs to be fixed right,but who has time when you have an sc.but yes the tack will stop working with a bad cam sensor I also got a check e light.is the car starting o.k?

Maybe the needle is just stuck. I replaced the cluster sheild because it had an open crack, then I blown air into it. I will take the cluster sheild off and see if thats the case.

There is no check engine lite on. But maybe the check engine lite is blown.
I am having a hard time starting the car. Once going its fine. Until it warms up. I get surging going on and sometimes stalls on me.

sounds like what my car did when the cam sensor went out,just happens my car started to act the same way today.I'm going to replace it again,good luck

Sounds like the early signs that the cam sensor is going out. Change it before it leaves you stranded on the street... If i remember correctly look at your speedomter cluster as you crank you SC. If your "upshift" light stays on while you crank, that also confirms that your cam sensor is going out... I hope this helps..
:cool:

I will replace the cam sensor this weekend.

I replaced the VSS with a working one and didn't change a thing. I hope its not the gear. Can it be poisible that I have blown that gear out of place. I had 90psi air coming out of that gun.. Also is it hard to replace that gear?

did this ever get resolved as I am having the same problems and I know it aint my cam sensor or speedo gear cuz the tach doesnt work either?

Last edited:
JimmyDean said:
If the speedo isnt working Id say either your VSS is shot or your speedo gear is stripped.

not trying to hijack the thread, but how would you swap out the stripped speedo gear? My speedo works sometimes, but it usually takes me hitting the dash to get it to work, and it isnt always accurate. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not. The odometer and tach work perfectly. Based on this, I am assuming it is the speedo gear. Where can I get a new one and what does it take to swap it?

SuperCoupe007 said:
If your "upshift" light stays on while you crank, that also confirms that your cam sensor is going out... I hope this helps..
:cool:

Correction, if your upshift light stays on while cranking, thats a bad crank sensor.

skydivr7673 said:
The odometer and tach work perfectly. Based on this, I am assuming it is the speedo gear.

If the speedo gear was stripped, the odometer would not work either.......

Derek

tbirdaj said:
did this ever get resolved as I am having the same problems and I know it aint my cam sensor or speedo gear cuz the tach doesnt work either?
He replaced the wire harness to the speed sensor.

I found out that my spare cam sensor was no good. I installed a new one, then my tach worked fine and the car ran great.

With the speedometer I replaced the wire harness from the VSS. Also I played around with the VSS and then it worked.

ShawnSC1 said:
I found out that my spare cam sensor was no good. I installed a new one, then my tach worked fine and the car ran great.

With the speedometer I replaced the wire harness from the VSS. Also I played around with the VSS and then it worked.

VSS = VMM ?

VSS = Vehicle Speed Sensor, I believe....the sensor that mounts on the transmission and tells the speedo how fast it is spinning.

oh yeah duh. it was a long night last night thanks for your help but this all happened after I changed the bulbs in the gauge cluster and now the only gauge that works is the boost. Also all bulbs are working and both harnesses are plugged in on each side of the back of the cluster. got me stumped. weird thing is my automatic seatbelts stopped working as well as my automatic headlamps

Last edited:
whenever some electronic things stop working at the same time, the first thing I do is check all the fuses. I do not recall if those functions are on the same fuse or not, but they might be.

lilLemke said:
im did the same thing changed my bulbs and now my cluster dont work or the entery lights. any ideas?

Changed the 10 amp cluster fuse in the fuse box and all ok now

Back