Some major Questions

wishihad1

Does anyone know how much you are suppose to torque head bolts down and also intake manifold gaskets down, and the bolts that hold the rods in place???

thanks
ryan

I don't have the book handy to see the torque specs, but I do know that they are to be tighten by a sequence... Maybe someone can shed exact info and sequence... If not i'll try to find it tomorrow...
Thanks...
:cool:

Here ya go!

Step 1. -
Note: Tighten bolts in sequence shown to: 50 Nm (37 lb-ft) 60 Nm (45 lb-ft) 70 Nm (52 lb-ft) 80 Nm (59 lb-ft)

Step 2. -
Note: a) Back off all bolts one at a time 2-3 revolutions and retighten in numerical sequence as follows:

Step 3. -
Note: b) Tighten long and short bolts in sequence to 65-75 Nm (48 lb-ft).

Step 4. -
Note: c) Rotate long and short bolts in sequence an additional 90-110 degrees.

Attachments

• 77995947.gif
    77995947.gif
    22.9 KB · Views: 43
my chiltins says tighten all head bolts starting in center and working towards end first to 37 then 45 then 52 then 59 loosten all head bolts 2or 3 turns (i didnt loosen mine) , repeat steps 1 thru 4 , i think i torqued mine to 90 ,lower intake chiltins says torque all to 8 then 11, i torqued mine to about 30 or 35 , upper intake torque to 8 then 15 then 24 , again i think i torqued mine tighter about 30 or 35 , rods are 31 to 36 i never had my rods off yet i think the guy that posted above was looking at regular 3.8 not sc

Last edited:
no that's the info from the Ford Mo. Co. Print page. No offense man really, but Chiltons manuals are not exactly the trusted info unless your just looking to change a tire or oil.

I try to get everyone to use the DIY service that alldata offers online. It has 10x the info and much of it is reprinted from the manufacturer.

www.alldatadiy.com

Costs less than a Chiltons too:D

Back