Battery light flickers when high speed fan comes on

Jeremy_K

2nd day in a row stuck in traffic on the way to work, 2nd problem. My temp gauge was almost on the "R" in norm and I heard the high speed fan kick on. Then I noticed my battery light flickered and stayed on real dim but the car was idling fine. I shut down the radio and the lights and the light went out when the fan kicked off. I relocated my battery to the trunk back in September and wired the Alternator to the kill switch in the back. All of my grounds are like new on bare metal. I had to switch to a slightly smaller battery that used to be in my SUV but the cranking amps were the same as my car's original battery. A couple weeks ago the battery died on me completely so I put a new one in and now this. I pulled the batt. cables off w/the car running and it continued to run fine so I don't think it's my alternator (also about a year old). :confused:

I would suggest to replace the alternator. Specially since its under a year old, you might have warranty. I had a similar problem. I replaced the alternator on my LX a few years ago, and within the first few months as I would drive my Battery light would slighty turn on, or turn on completely and then shut down. I took my car down to the shop where I got the alternator (3) times and all three times the alternator check out to be perfect. On the fourth visit to them, they said that they would install a new one and see if the problem persiste. No need for a 5th visit, as a new alternator solved my problems.... Just my 0.02 cents..
Hope This Helps
:cool:

I would suggest checking the belt and tensioner. When the fan kicks on it put a large load on the alternator. Once it's up to speed much of the load goes away. This will let the belt slip to the point that the alternator slows down and your batt light will flicker.

It's actually a common problem with any vehicle. You may be able to recreate it by turning your a/c on and off or lights and a/c.

One other thought - when you mentioned that the "temp. gauge goes to "R" and then the high speed fan kicks on". It sounds like possibly your low speed fan winding isn't working and, that will cause a very big load when the high speed fan comes on from scratch. Normally it goes from low to high and the load difference isn't that much. Put your a/c or defroster on and make sure that the low speed is working. If not, I think that is your problem and if you don't correct it ,you will eventually fry the fusible link (even worse on 94/95 models, because the under hood fuse board will get damaged from blowing those big fuses).

I deleted my A/C and jumped the evaporator plug so I can turn on my low speed fan with the A/C controls. I know that the low speed fan will come on if I hit the switch. I haven't noticed if the low fan comes on by itself when the car heats up. It really runs very cool this time of year and the fans don't kick on at all unless I'm stuck in traffic. I'll have to see if the low fan kicks on next time by itself. Thanks for the replies.

-Jeremy

Back